Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cosmic Cow

Options
Anyone used this on a brisket?  I bought some the other day just to try it.. Tasting it, it's got a little bit of a kick to it, but not too much, at least not for me.. I don't want to overwhelm anyone at the Superbowl party tomorrow.. Just wondering if the heat would mellow out any as it's cooked.. I suppose I could always add some brown sugar to it.

Any other ideas?
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I haven't seen those at my dealers locally and have to order the regular Dizzy Pig line but I assume from reading the description on the BGE Website that it is pretty close to the Cow Lick they have been making for years. Which I love on steak, burgers, and makes a great Cow Lickin' Chili Time!! from @egret Anyways I think it would work great on a brisket. The heat will mellow quite a bit so don't be shy with the rub. I usually but the rub on the night before and then grind up peppercorns and throw those on the morning off the cook. True Texas brisket is normally just salt and lots of pepper. Here is the last post I have of making a brisket Flat out Tasty
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I got some for free from the eggtoberfest. We use it on burgers, along with Reduced Sodium Dales Seasoning. I would suggest trying it on a burger or steak before putting it on a brisket, just to make sure you like it. I think it's good stuff though. :)
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Thanks guys!

What is the best way to cook a 7.5 brisket quickly (6 - 7 hrs)?  Is it the Travis method?  Any others?  Would it come out too tough cooking it like a turbo butt?
    LBGE
  • Solson005
    Options
    First ? is it a small packer or just a flat? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    Options
    It's a small packer I think.. It has a point and a flat to it.

And it is my first on the BGE.
    LBGE
  • Solson005
    Options
    The travis method is probably a pretty good way to go with your timeframe. Here is his original post in case you don't have it. Brisket..... How I do it. it has over 325,000 view so I'd say its a good one but I've never made it this way myself. If you have a injector I would pull it around 160° and inject it with beef broth, worcestershire mixture if not don't worry Travis says his always come out juicy. and put it back on and check it at 195° and if the thermometer probe slides in like butter pull it or keep checking it at 5° intervals till it gets to 205° let it rest for a little bit before serving! Good luck!
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Thanks @Solson005!
    LBGE
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Alright, I've got the 8 lb butt and 7.5 lb packer on there now.. 

Went with the Travis method.. Got some Abita Double Dog and onion in a pan with Cosmic Cow rubbed in (not too much to be safe).. I had to cut the brisket where the flat and point join to get it to fit in the pan (and on the Egg with the butt on there).. I need the Adjustable Rig.

Now time to wait.. Thanks to everyone for the input!  Pics will be posted later.. 
    LBGE
  • DawgDays
    Options
    I recently did a Travis brisket with Cosmic Cow. Turned out *great*. I actually added 1-2 tablespoons of finely ground coffee to the rub to serve as a proxy for Redeye Express. Give it a whirl, it was certainly on the spicy side for the burnt ends but not nearly enough to overwhelm anyone. Definitely wouldn't be too much for the sliced up flat.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I love the CC for all things beef. I find myself adding a little bit of kosher salt for enhancements though.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA