Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You Southern fellas/ladies know what you are doing - Bourbon my new favorite

So, I have always been a vodka/martini guy and have been slowly getting into Bourbon.  It has become my new fave, just a much better experience to vodka (in my opinion).  This northeast boy is ready to go, hit me with the names of the good stuff.   

Comments

• Makers Mark is good and when used in BBQ sauce is awesome.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I do love Makers, but am also enjoying what I find out there - four roses etc...  The problem with me is I don't get the really good stuff that can be gotten because of where I am and the demand for bourbon here (not great).    
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Makers 46 is even nicer.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Bookmark You Southern fellas/ladies know what you are doing - Bourbon my new favorite And you are surprised. Us southern boys know what we are doing about most things. :))
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Woodford Reserve is my favorite.....They use that in the Mint Juleps @ the Kentucky Derby.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

I love Makers, Woodford, and Knob Creek.  I also like Bookers (actually made by Jim Beam), but it is a little $$ and strong.  Want to try Makers 46 next.

I tried to get into Scotch, but just can't do it.  Like bourbon or Irish Whiskey much better.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolenut19
    nolenut19 Posts: 76
    edited February 2013
    To me Makers 46 not worth the price difference. Woodford is very smooth. There is a beer Kentucky Bourbon Ale that is amazing. A slow sipping beer that is aged for 6 weeks in a bourbon barrel.
  • I like Knob Creek, Woodford, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace....and there is a Double Chocolate Bourbon form Pritchard's that I'd like to try.

The Kentucky Bourbon Ale is very nice!
  • Jack Daniels for me.  I like many, but it is my go to bourbon.  
  • Woodford Reserve and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked are very good with very good distribution. See if you can find some W. L. Weller 12 year old. Excellent if you like bourbon with wheat like Makers Mark. A real bargain for the quality as well at $25. https://www.thepartysource.com/express/item.php?id=27063 Moving up the scale would be Four Roses 2012 Small Batch Limited Edition $90, this was Whisky Advocates American Whiskey of the year. http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2013/01/22/whisky-advocates-19th-annual-award-american-whiskey-of-the-year/ There are great bourbons out there to match any price point Happy sipping!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    +1 for the Woodford Double Oaked- been out about 6-8 months and I like it better than the Van Winkles (at least thru the 15 yr old).  Bulleit is a good every day bourbon.  Old Forester if you are going to use a mix.  The different flavors derive from the different grains used beyond corn-wheat, rye and/or barley.  Enjoy1
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • +1 to the WL Weller 12yr. I'm big on wheated bourbon and without the Weller, I'd go broke on Pappy. REALLY looking forward to grabbing a bottle of the Woodford Double Oaked. Other than that, all good suggestions on this thread thus far. The only bottle mentioned here that I'm not so big on is the Booker's. It's high proof but doesn't have any smooth notes to it so it pours hot! In general, I think the small batch Beam (Booker's, Baker's, and Basil Hayden) are overpriced.
  • esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    I personally like Very Old Barton for a cheap bourbon, very smooth and drinkable, mixes well also. "On February 16, 2011, Very Old Barton 100 proof tied with Evian Williams "Black Label" as "Best Buy Whisky of the Year" in the 17th Annual Whiskey Advocate Whisky Awards." Everyone is raving over the high end bourbons, and I will not argue, but I feel some of the real gems are some of affordable bourbons. That being said I learned to drink on bottom of the barrel Early Times, A friends Dad worked for ET and could get it free, Now Jim Beam is selling bottom of the barrel Beam as Devil's Cut. Maybe that I am spoiled living within 50 miles of  most all the distilleries of bourbon and having access to most all the great labels. One last note, and I will applaud those who know the right answer, What is the difference between Bourbon and aged whisky?  Second question What is the difference between whisky and whiskey other than the obvious spelling? 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Jack Daniels and water is my common go to drink but I do have a bottle of Blaton's tucked away for special occasions

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • esdd said:
    I personally like Very Old Barton for a cheap bourbon, very smooth and drinkable, mixes well also. "On February 16, 2011, Very Old Barton 100 proof tied with Evian Williams "Black Label" as "Best Buy Whisky of the Year" in the 17th Annual Whiskey Advocate Whisky Awards." Everyone is raving over the high end bourbons, and I will not argue, but I feel some of the real gems are some of affordable bourbons. That being said I learned to drink on bottom of the barrel Early Times, A friends Dad worked for ET and could get it free, Now Jim Beam is selling bottom of the barrel Beam as Devil's Cut. Maybe that I am spoiled living within 50 miles of  most all the distilleries of bourbon and having access to most all the great labels. One last note, and I will applaud those who know the right answer, What is the difference between Bourbon and aged whisky?  Second question What is the difference between whisky and whiskey other than the obvious spelling? 

If I recall, bourbon must be from a mashbill mainly from corn (>51%) and aged in new, charred barrels for at least 2 years. Pretty much everything else that comes from rye or wheat is whiskey regardless of age or type of barrel used. No clue on the whiskey/whisky thing though.
  • If you can get some, Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr is excellent but a little pricey.
  • esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    Whiskey is and American product, whisky can be made anywhere. Dawg is mostly right, with the exception that 97% of all bourbon comes from Kentucky, 
  • esdd said:
    Whiskey is and American product, whisky can be made anywhere. Dawg is mostly right, with the exception that 97% of all bourbon comes from Kentucky, 

But it's not a requirement that it's made in KY. Just the mashbill, the charred white oak barrels, and 2 years sleeping in them.
  • I really like Wild Turkey 101 Single Barrel.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    He is right on bourbon, based on the federal code of regulations. Whiskey is named as such in the USA and Ireland. It's whisky when produced in Scotland, aka scotch. It's been co-opted in Canada and Japan. The only time it will get your butt kicked is in Scotland, where adding the E is a great offense. There are even distilleries in the USA that call it "whisky" like Maker's Mark Kentucky bourbon whisky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Not sure of the technical difference in bourbon and whiskey but Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    All bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is bourbon. Bourbon is mostly corn(greater than 50%), whereas whiskey can be corn, barley, rye, or wheat. Scotch is mostly barley and from Scotland (duh) Tennessee whiskey has a special state definition since it is finished by being filtered through sugar maple charcoal, aka the Lincoln county process.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i'm a daily makers drinker, 46 when i feel frivolous or woodford for a change.  the woodford double barrel is great when you can find it .  when i want to adventure Evan Williams 1783, or if you can find it a real treat is Hudson Baby Bourbon.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Woodford Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    You can never go wrong with Weller Special Reserve or Weller 12 year. The price is right and the taste is great.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Basil Hayden is another good one.
  • I believe Makers, based on a personal visit, is the purest bourbon.  Neat is the best way to enjoy.

Cheers!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I mix, and bourbon is my numero uno poison.  I settled on Evan Williams black label years (maybe a decade) ago.  It's not the best sipping bourbon, but it's a great value.  I actually prefer it over Gentleman Jack and Makers when mixed (Diet Coke - yeah, I'm pedestrian).  Not that I don't enjoy some top shelf bourbon now and then.  :D
    edited February 2013
    I am a big fan of Maker's Mark and their Ambassador program is pretty sweet, especially since its free. I can't wait until next year when my barrel will be ready and I can go dip two bottles from it. It makes for a very good Old Fashioned or Manhattan and of course is great on the rocks. 

The ice mold and bottle sweater were two of the free gifts they gave out to Ambassadors around Christmas every year! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.