Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs question

Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Doing Ribs for the game tomorrow . Question : do I apply mustard then dry rub or dry rub then mustard?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Mustard then rub the mustard just holds the rub
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    chad408 said:
    Mustard then rub the mustard just holds the rub

This

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • I've never had a problem with the meat holding the rub even when applied dry. Nothing against the mustard method, but just haven't found a need for it. But then again, i dont use vertical racks when i cook so maybe it helps for that type of application. Also, if i plan ahead, I will rub the slabs down in brown sugar the night before and wrap in foil. Then apply my rub on the next day about 10-15 mins before they go on the egg. Never had any issues either way, though. To each his own, I guess.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I go mustard then rub. I have seen champs @ KCBS go rub, mustard, rub some more. For me it's about how aggressive your rub is and how much you want to apply. I like to taste the meat a little. Right?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I like Rub, Mustard, and Rub. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.