Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Spatchcocked Chicken

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
After reading all the rave about the Spatchcocked chicken I decided to try one. I brined for 5 1/2hr in a salt,sugar,garlic & clove solution Prolly should have went longer but I just decided to do this this morning. I used Butt Rub & I cooked raised direct at 400 F until thighs hit 168F. The skin was not as crispy as I would have liked. So the question is should I get it higher in the dome or raise the cooking temp to 450 or so? My grid was at gasket level. The taste and juiciness was incredible and we will definitely be doin this again. I couldn't believe how much faster it cooked versus the way I would do beer butt chicken. imageimageimage

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Looks pretty good!!  I do mine spatchcocked indirect at 350 to 375 degrees.  I have found the higher you cook in the dome the crispier it will turn out !!
  • Very nice looking chicken.  Did you remove the keel bone or slice through it?  
    If you have a large or an XL then high in the dome will yield crispy skin.  If using a small,  cook indirect skin side up 1 inch above felt line to within 10 degrees of final temp.  Remove the plate setter/pizza stone, put grate on fire ring and sear away....just be careful not to burn the skin.  Whatever you do don't tent while resting...all you work to get crispy skin will be for nothing.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I just cut the backbone out and pressed it flat. I am using a large egg and cooking at gasket level with a homemade raised grid sitting on my original grid which is on the fire ring. I was thinking about making one more raised grid and this cook just solidifies that thought. I think I can still get another 4" or so in height before it rubs the dome. Thanks for the suggestions!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! To get crispy skin you can put it on a sheet pan uncovered overnight in the fridge. Thats what I do and cook it right at the gasket level in my large and my small BGE. Naked Whiz Dead Simple Spatchcock you can also do a turkey the same way. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.