Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cow lick chili ish

Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053

We are having a chili cook off tomorrow at our place so I made cow lick chili with some changes. I smoked 3 pounds of chuck for 6 hours and then smoked the pound of italian sausage the recipe calls for in the egg for an hour and then I took about a pound or so of some maple/dark brown sugar belly I started curing last week and hot smoked that with peach and cherry and then cubed all of it and cooked it in a CI skillet and then added it to the rest of the ingredients the cow lick chili calls for (I used the new version with semi sweet chocolate over the cinnamon). Its been on the xl about 2 hours now can't wait to try it. Made a couple jello shots for the game tomorrow while I am waiting.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    That looks great, I am making it tomorrow (sticking to recipe).  My one change, and if VI were here he would laugh, is I am removing the beans - I actually don't like them in chili.  Texans have it right here.  But looks great good luck, please let me know the results - I will do it if it works - love the bacon idea.  
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited February 2013
    A " couple of Jell-O shots " ? Lit is gonna get LIT! Nice looking cook!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

That looks great man!  That is going to be excellent chili fo sho!

I didn't know Costco made tequila now!  How is it?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit

Pulled it off after 2 1/2 hours. @irishdevl I have made it by the recoipe before and it is really good. I am not big on ground beef in my chili I have been making it for awhile with cubed tri tip I just like the texture better. There is also a newer version of the recipe where he took out the cinnamon and used semi sweet chocolate I believe it was 2 oz but I couldn't find the recipe so I just put 2 oz. Smokey the Costco Tequila is actually pretty good and cheap. The 1.75 of the silver is under $20 and the 1.0 litre of Anejo is like $20. The chili took on a nice color with the persimmon and hickory smoke.image

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like your house will be the place to be tomorrow! I made the recipe with chocolate a few weeks ago and it was a hit, I can only imagine how much this will add to it. Nicely done! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Pretty impressive lookin chili. Nice
    Seattle, WA
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    I've tried the regular CowLick chili but this one looks off the charts good!
    I'll have to give it a try! Bookmarked for sure
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Wouldn't the roast fall apart from smoking this long. How were you able to cube it. do you happen the know the temp you cooked the roast to. Thank you. I know this is an older posts but I like the meat you used
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That chili is gonna rock today. An overnight rest does amazing things for stuff like chili.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    caliking said:
    That chili is gonna rock today. An overnight rest does amazing things for stuff like chili.
    How about a 157 night rest?? ;P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    It is probably gone by now. :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    ericp said:
    Wouldn't the roast fall apart from smoking this long. How were you able to cube it. do you happen the know the temp you cooked the roast to. Thank you. I know this is an older posts but I like the meat you used
    The roast will usually hold up for that long to cube. Shouder or Chuck roasts are usually sliceable to about 185 degrees internal but will start pulling at 195 and above. When I do pulled beef on a 3-4 pounder I usually go about 8 hours total.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

caliking said:

How about a 157 night rest?? ;P

Serves me right for not checking the post date! :) I once found some frozen meatball curry in the freezer, 3 years after my mom had cooked it. Was in college, then so I heated it up and ate it. Was terrific!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Wow. Thanks for the info Lit. Making this chili this weekend and would appreciate any tips you can give. Really love the egret recipe and the way you adaptd the roast in
  • Where can I find the actual Cow Lick chili recipe?  I just got a Dutch oven and I'm itchin to try something!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut