Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Beef back ribs. Maybe my favorite thing in the World....

2»

Comments

  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    Those look great! I just posted a picture of the last time I made them on a different post to help answer a question and your post was at the top of the list when I was done. I'm taking it as a sign to make them soon! Thanks for sharing. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,872
    edited January 2013
    Nice cook Marty. Hope to see more of that on here. Looks like beef reibs are on the menu this weekend (IF they are under $3 per lb- we are experimenting all month with Under $3 cuts of meat to see what we can come up with)






    $3.18 /lb at my Wal-mart, but I think I have seen them as low as $1.99/lb at my local grocery.


    Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 701
    Beef ribs are one of my favorites also. We get the frozen/defrosted one out here all the time on sale but I've sworn off them. I've learned that no matter how you cook some of them you get they turn out like shoe leather. It took me a couple of times until I realized it wasn't me it was them. I think they come from cattle that died from old age and then sat out in the sun for a week before they were butchered. I was at a local supermarket tonight (Stater Bros) hoping to find fresh but they didn't have any. They did have frozen/defrosted in the case for $1.49/lb but just walked on by. I came home with flanken ribs even though they were kinda pricey, $4.99/lb same price as bone in rib eyes that were on sale.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 425
    edited January 2013
    Stopped at ACME to see if they had any today.  I have never cooked them.  They usually have a terrible meat selection here on the island but today they had 3 beef back ribs... fiance is out of town so perfect.

    Threw them on at 3pm at 300 indirect in a shallow pan. 2 hours later I put on the foil after some broth. 1 hour later I ran out of coals (working on leftovers) and threw them in the oven at 275 for 20 mins uncovered.

    Amazing. Never had them before.  Thanks for this. Its in the book

    Edit: Salt and Pepper
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 701
    rtt121 said:
    Stopped at ACME to see if they had any today.  I have never cooked them.  They usually have a terrible meat selection here on the island but today they had 3 beef back ribs... fiance is out of town so perfect.

    Threw them on at 3pm at 300 indirect in a shallow pan. 2 hours later I put on the foil after some broth. 1 hour later I ran out of coals (working on leftovers) and threw them in the oven at 275 for 20 mins uncovered.

    Amazing. Never had them before.  Thanks for this. Its in the book

    Edit: Salt and Pepper

    rtt121,

    Just curious where your at that you've neve had beef ribs?

    Tim in SoCal

    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,976
    May have to try these this weekend. Never cooked them but they look great. The Mrs. Is not a big fan of pork ribs. Maybe these will work for her.
    __________________________________________
    It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
    - Camp Hill, PA
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,723
    Me too. I've never done full ribs. Just the short variety.
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 701
    Me too. I've never done full ribs. Just the short variety.

    Ok here's what you do. If you can't find fresh beef ribs, go buy a ten bone rib roast, cut the ribs off, feed the rib roast to your dog. He'll only puke for a week or so but he'll love you forever, or you can cut it into ribeye steaks ,whatever, your choice. Prep the ribs like any other ribs. I mean get rid of the membrane and silverskin and season to your taste. Cook @ about 250 meat side up, rib side down and don't turn. When the meat recedesfrom the bone I baste with BBQ sauce for about 1/2 hr before pulling. I've never taken a temp. Here's how you can tell it's done: the meat will recede from the bone and the meat between the ribs will be firm to the touch
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Beef ribs are the absolute best.
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 425

    rtt121,

    Just curious where your at that you've neve had beef ribs?

    Tim in SoCal

    South Jersey. Not sure why I have never had them.  I don't usually see them on the rack and there are not a whole lot of real BBQ places around here.
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    rtt121 said:


    rtt121,

    Just curious where your at that you've neve had beef ribs?

    Tim in SoCal


    South Jersey. Not sure why I have never had them.  I don't usually see them on the rack and there are not a whole lot of real BBQ places around here.
    I'm in jersey - they are everywhere. Get some, you will be glad you did. I prefer beef ribs and pulled beef to pork all day long.
  • Beef ribs! It's now what I want for breakfast!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    @td66snrf Thought you would want to know, the primal rib section only contains 7 ribs, not 10. They are numbered ribs 6 through 12.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 701
    billyray said:
    @td66snrf Thought you would want to know, the primal rib section only contains 7 ribs, not 10. They are numbered ribs 6 through 12.

    I appreciate the education. While we're on the subject how many ribs on a pig? I bought baby back ribs at Costco and they come in three racks. I always thought it was 13 but one rack had 15 and one had 12. Thanks.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Love beef ribs too... Have trouble getting them tender AND moist consistently, though.  Best results have been using Dutch oven.    
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    td66snrf said:
    billyray said:
    @td66snrf Thought you would want to know, the primal rib section only contains 7 ribs, not 10. They are numbered ribs 6 through 12.

    I appreciate the education. While we're on the subject how many ribs on a pig? I bought baby back ribs at Costco and they come in three racks. I always thought it was 13 but one rack had 15 and one had 12. Thanks.
    Depending on the size and age of the pig, they can have between thirteen and seventeen pairs of ribs. The average pig though usually has fourteen pairs of ribs.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • Looks tasty Marty.

     

    -SMITTY     

    from SANTA CLARA, CA

  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,503
    My local butcher (Sniders) had the best beef ribs, even off my old water smoker.  They went out of business before I got my Egg, and I haven't been able to find them since...  :(
    _____________________________________________
     
    I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.
     
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • billyray said:
    td66snrf said:
    billyray said:
    @td66snrf Thought you would want to know, the primal rib section only contains 7 ribs, not 10. They are numbered ribs 6 through 12.

    I appreciate the education. While we're on the subject how many ribs on a pig? I bought baby back ribs at Costco and they come in three racks. I always thought it was 13 but one rack had 15 and one had 12. Thanks.
    Depending on the size and age of the pig, they can have between thirteen and seventeen pairs of ribs. The average pig though usually has fourteen pairs of ribs.
    Now that is just friggin amazing.  I had no idea that a pig could have a different number of ribs base on it's size.  Isn't that kinda weird?  So, when the pig is little it says I am going to be big and grows a couple extra ribs??    Just kidding.  :)

    Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

    http://www.amlwoodart.com

    "Just living from one cook to the next"

  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,976
    And they were delicious!!!  I did a few short ribs along with the back ribs.  Thanks for the idea.
    DSC_0008.JPG
    3872 x 2592 - 2M
    __________________________________________
    It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
    - Camp Hill, PA
  • Having beef back ribs later today. Cooking indirect around 300. Will pull them for halftime meal during Kentucky- Texas A & M game. Kentucky WILL win this one!
Sign In or Register to comment.