Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork TenderLoin-1st Time BGE

Hello All, Long Time Reader, First Time Poster. I have about a 3 pound pre marinated Pork Tenderloin I want to Cook Indirectly. Any Suggestions on Time and Temp? What about a good wood to smoke with?  Thanks!!
·

Comments

• pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,786
    Cook to 145. I would not get too aggressive with the smoke. Pecan, apple, cherry, hickory, are all good, just don't treat it like a butt. You will want to kiss it with smoke. I would say 300-350 for 40 - 50 min would do. More about temp of meat, check with therm. I would probably do this direct myself.
    ·
  • If I do Direct, what do you recommend?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,635
    edited February 2013
    I do pork tenderloins raised grid direct around 350-400*F on the dome for about 30 mins or so  til I hit the finish temp-138-140*F.  Remove and tent for around 10 mins-slice and enjoy-FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 416
    edited February 2013
    The last one I did I did indirect at 275°± and it didn't get the nice color/texture that I was looking for. I agree with the advise given thus far, direct raised if higher heat and to the temp they've recommended. I was happy with the internal juiciness and tenderness of the loin after I pulled that last one at 140 and it carried over perfectly.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • I am new to BGE and just did BB ribs and tenderloin at the same time. I put the ribs on my rib rack with the tenderloins under the rack. Cooked for 6 hours at 220. Everything was excellent but the tenderloins did not have the bark I prefer. Any ideas??
    Large BGE
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    Jellyworm said:
    I am new to BGE and just did BB ribs and tenderloin at the same time. I put the ribs on my rib rack with the tenderloins under the rack. Cooked for 6 hours at 220. Everything was excellent but the tenderloins did not have the bark I prefer. Any ideas??

I like to cook my tenderloin at 400 direct. I like to almost "sear " mine and it gives it great bark. Cook to desired internal temp. When you cut into it it will fill your plate with a ton of juice!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • I will try your way tomorrow for the Super Bowl party we are going to. If I can figure out how to post I will take pics to show results!
    Large BGE
    ·
  • KingtUTKingtUT Posts: 133
    edited February 2013

·
    I do my pork tenderloins direct at 275-300 for about 40-45 minutes, with one flip at 20-25 minutes. As far as im concerned these are as good as anything ive done on the egg.  Perfect bark and the juices....oh my! 
    ·
    as you can tell, i need help with editing my posts, anyone care to enlighten me?
    ·
  • nemonemo Posts: 105
    Pork tenderloins are one of my favorite cuts of meat.  I normally use Texas BBQ Grand Champion rub....cook it direct @ 400* dome on raised grill till internal temp hits 140.  I rotate the loin every 10 minutes...it's easy to overcook, check temp often after 20 min on the grill.  Tent for 15 min.  Enjoy.
    Fairview, Texas
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,786
    Sometimes I use DP Red Eye Express. I don't think I would on a marinated one though. Try it some time, it is really good and different. I truss two tenderloins together end to end and cook then slice into 11/2" medallions. Best bang for the buck out there as far as protien IMO.
    ·
  • Thanks for all of the input!! I went the Direct route as suggested and it turned out great. Thanks to all. Will be doing BB Ribs for Super Bowl tomorrow. 
    ·