Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Swamp Venum Wings Question

I was traveling for work this week and found myself in a city that has a Dissy Pig dealer.  After hearing so many great things about their products on this forum, I stopped by the dealer and grabbed some.  (Swamp Venum, Dizzy Dust, Cow Lick, and Ragin' River). 

I'm planning on making some wings for a Superbowl party.  Here is what I intend to do, I want to mix some Swamp Venum with corn starch at about 2 parts rub with one part corn starch, put on wings basted with EVOO.  Refrigerated over night.  Cooked indirect on the BGE.  Then finished off with a sauce made with Franks, vinegar and butter and put back on the grill to cook in the sauce a little bit.

So, here is my question, how much Swamp Venum should I use for about 7.5 pounds of wings (with the tips which I plan on cutting off)?  I've never used this rub before and don't want to make them so hot that people will be turned off by them.

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,611
    edited February 2013
    I usually keep the tips for stock and dry the rest in the frig overnight.  When ready to cook add the seasoning and go forward.  350-375F 45-60 minutes depending on how cooked you like them.  Direct or indirect your choice.
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 593
    edited February 2013
    IMO I do not think swamp venom is that hot. I do love the flavor of it thought. I used it on my wings like a pepper or salt shaker. I evoo then shake on so it completely covers the wings all sides. If you want them hot you will have to add something hot you like. Maybe red pepper flakes. I do hot wing challenges so I love really hot wings but family not so much. My eight year loves swamp venom.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

• KempyKempy Posts: 186
    edited February 2013

@holepuncher thanks for the link.  That is a great starting point.  I think I'm going to try a variation of that recipe.

@six_egg thanks for the info.  I've never tried it and I'm looking forward to it.