Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Turbo Butt

Previously in a different thread, Mickey told me: Just another way to do it: TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

My question is 350 the dome?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Yes
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Direct or indirect? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Indirect
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I guess I am shopping for a plate setter tomorrow! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • If you have a little more money to spend, look at ceramicgrillstore.com and see if any of the setups that they have interest you.  I'm not trying to talk you out of the plate setter completely, but I have a plate setter and only use it for pizza's now that I have an adjustable rig setup from Tom's website.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Thanks Mickey.  Do you also wash your butt when you unpackage?  Mine was cryovac'ed and there is a little bit of "slime" that I think I should wash off.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited February 2013
    I wash and pat dry everything I cook that isn't dry beef.  Anything cryovac packaged, chicken, poultry etc.  I can't speak for Mickey, but that's my two cents.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    I like to wipe my cryovac'ed butt too. :)
  • Thanks Dyal_SC so glad I'm not the only one
    :-bd
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I wipe the stuff off with paper towels, but full blown washing it off is unnecessary imo. Plus makes sink nasty.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Always good to keep your butt clean. :))

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3 said:
    Always good to keep your butt clean. :))

Those are words to live by.  :)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• I did 40 lbs of Turbo Butt for the first time...I was a bit skeptical at first as it just didn't have the "typical" bark look but man was it ever full of juices!! I've never seen that much juice and the colors of the pulled meat looked amazing! The wife now prefers this over my low/slow butt! Thanks for sharing Mickey!
  • 40 pounds??  Thats a lot of BUTT!   It is true, you loose some of the bark, but the rich flavor of the juices makes up for it..  Congrats on your cook !!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I'm cooking my first Turbo Butt tomorrow. I've had great success with low and slow Butts, so I'm hesitant because the family always has high expectations when it comes to my Egging. My question is: if I have the time, do I need to foil? Or is the foiling necessary to active Turbo Butt success?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited February 2013

The idea of the turbo cooking of the  butt is to first get some smoke taste into the meat while the surfaces can still absorb it - that is why it goes directly on the grill for the first couple of hours until the internal reaches 160.  It is then foiled tightly to keep the moisture inside the meat and accelerates the cooking rate.  It's cooking sails right thru the plateu.  You will notice the juices when you open before pulling the butt.

• Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    edited February 2013

The idea of the turbo cooking of the  butt is to first get some smoke taste into the meat while the surfaces can still absorb it - that is why it goes directly on the grill for the first couple of hours until the internal reaches 160.  It is then foiled tightly to keep the moisture inside the meat and accelerates the cooking rate.  It's cooking sails right thru the plateu.  You will notice the juices when you open before pulling the butt.

ok Charlie you got me confused. On the other page in the thread on "my first pork butt on my BGE " you posted the first 2 hours as cooking indirect with the place setter. I even asked for your temps on the first 2 hours.
    Now on this post you say direct. I'm doing my first one tomorrow and I am trying to follow your turbo method but I am mixed up here. Can you clarify please and summarize start to finish or tell me which post to follow . Thanks

• What i said "it goes directly on the grill" meaning "no foil" -- sorry for the confusion.  Turbo is indirect cooking -- plate setter legs up.  I use a light foil - one thickness - folded edges under the grill.  Makes for an easy clean up.  image
  • Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103

What i said "it goes directly on the grill" meaning "no foil" -- sorry for the confusion.  Turbo is indirect cooking -- plate setter legs up.  I use a light foil - one thickness - folded edges under the grill.  Makes for an easy clean up.  image

thanks a lot for the clarification.
    Anyone try the last part of the turbo w/o foil? Does that effect the bark at all?
    Sorry I'm sure that is an old question for some of the eggsperts

• The foil is what makes the butt cook fast, Without the foil you may as well stick with a "low and slow" cook.........  ;;)
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Larrymac said:

thanks a lot for the clarification. Anyone try the last part of the turbo w/o foil? Does that effect the bark at all? Sorry I'm sure that is an old question for some of the eggsperts
    I haven't tried it at 350*, but I've cooked at 290* without foil for the whole cook and they come out good.  Cuts several hours off doing them at 250*.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • The higher the cooking temperature -- the dryer your end result will be -- heck you could do one at 500 degrees -- the butt will reach 200 FASTER !!  X_X
  • Ragtop99
    most of the liquid in the foil is fat and collagen.  I've tried separating the liquids to recover "juice" and there is very little water in the foil.  I won't argue that it doesn't taste good mixing in a little, but I like the fact that the cooking process has rendered much of the fat out of the meat.

Not suggesting that 500* will work, but eventually someone will try 325* without foil and see how it turns out. 
  • There is another method, which i have tried, where you cook a butt in a cast iron covered pot at like 425, and it cooked a butt for pulling in less than three hours.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't loke a "low and slow" or turbo cooked butt !!

I'm gonna shoot for 325* tomorrow morning and see where that takes this 7 pounder I picked up at Kroger yesterday. I'm gonna let it go as long as I can without foil. If it gets to be mid afternoon and it's not over the plateau yet, then I'll foil. Plan is to have it ready by 5ish. I think I can get there if I get in on by 9am.
    Member since 2009
  • Just removed from cooler and shreded,  All I can say is MICKEY IS A ROCK STAR!!!  This stuff is out of the park.  Thanks.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I usually do butts overnight on my drum smokers at about 280°F, but have done one on the egg so far. The hot and fast butts have been good in the past, but the smoke flavor and bark are not as good as the lo n slo butts IMO. But you can't beat the savings in time with the hot and fast method. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I did 22 pounds of boneless but(1 around 12 and the other around 10) @ 350 dome last night and hit 195 after 13 hours. It was 19 outside and windy, so I had some fluctuations from 300 to 375(It was 300 when I woke up at 0730, I went to bed at 0200. It fluctuated from 2300 until it locked in at 352 around 0100) No foil during cooking, FTC for 2 hours until party started at 2.
  • Ragtop99
    500:  I've found at 290*, the time drops to about an hour per pound.  At 325*, you'll be under an hour per pound.  On by 9:00 and off by 3:00 would be my estimate.

Eggcelsior, how did it turn out?
    Ragtop99 said:
    500:  I've found at 290*, the time drops to about an hour per pound.  At 325*, you'll be under an hour per pound.  On by 9:00 and off by 3:00 would be my estimate.

Eggcelsior, how did it turn out?

Thanks Ragtop. At 9am this is going on. I woke up at 7, and it is stabilized at 370* right now, clean burn, apple and hickory chunks.
    Member since 2009