Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermometers

Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,838
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a Maverick E73 and need to order a new food probe. I made the mistake of not having it over the platesetter or wrapping it. I thought I would order a smoker probe as well which together was goin to cost about $25. That is about half the price of a new unit. Decisions, decisions. Is there a better thermometer that any of you are using or that you would recommend?

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,401
    There was a post earlier about a discount on the 732 from amazon. 45 bucks.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,795
    try baking your probes, cable and all, in the oven at 170 for a few hours.  Fixes the problem if water intrusion caused it to fail.  Doesn't work if the cable is in two sections... :D

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,838
    I never thought about water intrusion but was baffled that it went bad on a 350 degree turkey cook. Thanks for the tip

·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I have the Thermoworks TW8060 and love it. I loved ky thermapen so much it seemed only natural. I've never heard anybody say "I like Mavericks instant-read thermometer so much so mabye I'll try their probe thermometer." As far as the lack of remoonitoring. I'm quite capable of taking a few steps outside to check every few hours. Not to mention it's just one more thing that could break. I highly recommend the thermoworks unit. Thermocouples.are so much more rugged as well. The kit comes with a meat probe and crocodile clip. Whole thing will run you about 130.
    ·
  • The TW 8060 is great, but not very helpful unless you are beside the grill. The 732 is a good remote monitoring unit, but, keep the probes wrapped with tin foil and change it every so often. Moisture intrusion is an issue, I'm sure - so like Nola suggested dry it out, then keep it dry. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,838
    I found a high heat smoke probe (716 F) for $19 that I think I may order also.  But will be usin the foil trick goin forward

·