Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,431
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a Maverick E73 and need to order a new food probe. I made the mistake of not having it over the platesetter or wrapping it. I thought I would order a smoker probe as well which together was goin to cost about $25. That is about half the price of a new unit. Decisions, decisions. Is there a better thermometer that any of you are using or that you would recommend?

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,873
    There was a post earlier about a discount on the 732 from amazon. 45 bucks.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,233
    try baking your probes, cable and all, in the oven at 170 for a few hours.  Fixes the problem if water intrusion caused it to fail.  Doesn't work if the cable is in two sections... :D
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,431
    I never thought about water intrusion but was baffled that it went bad on a 350 degree turkey cook. Thanks for the tip

• jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I have the Thermoworks TW8060 and love it. I loved ky thermapen so much it seemed only natural. I've never heard anybody say "I like Mavericks instant-read thermometer so much so mabye I'll try their probe thermometer." As far as the lack of remoonitoring. I'm quite capable of taking a few steps outside to check every few hours. Not to mention it's just one more thing that could break. I highly recommend the thermoworks unit. Thermocouples.are so much more rugged as well. The kit comes with a meat probe and crocodile clip. Whole thing will run you about 130.
  • The TW 8060 is great, but not very helpful unless you are beside the grill. The 732 is a good remote monitoring unit, but, keep the probes wrapped with tin foil and change it every so often. Moisture intrusion is an issue, I'm sure - so like Nola suggested dry it out, then keep it dry. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,431
    I found a high heat smoke probe (716 F) for $19 that I think I may order also.  But will be usin the foil trick goin forward