Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting pork shoulder

I saw that Hapster injected his shoulder with marinade, have others did this? Have you noticed much difference ? Thanks
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• I always inject. Creole butter or a modified version of Chris Lilly's pork injection.  Give it a try and see what you think.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's a thread somewhere here about injecting with an Italian dressing concoction. Never tried it but it seems popular.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

henapple said:
    There's a thread somewhere here about injecting with an Italian dressing concoction. Never tried it but it seems popular.
    Here lies the thread that henapple has referenced.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i wait til the butts in the plataue and sometimes inject vinegar sauce, works well and it takes more of the injection when its heated up verse cold. no mess to clean up as its done in the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I always inject. Creole butter or a modified version of Chris Lilly's pork injection.  Give it a try and see what you think.
    Have never injected a butt.. I got a Tony Chachere's pack of 4 different injectables for a gift so i'm gonna try the Creole Butter. Sounds good will let ya'll know how it turns out. Also gotta try the Italian dressing inject. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I made two 8lb shoulders last summer side by side.  Both had Byon's Butt Rub on them but one of them I injected with Stubbs Chipolte Butter marinade.  Both came out great but the injected one got rave reviews.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You could take whatever you're injecting and use it as a finishing sauce after it's pulled, or do both.   You're adding flavor and salt - not sure if it makes it more moist, the fat and gelatin make it seem moist with or without an injection - unless it's way overcooked.
    You could take whatever you're injecting and use it as a finishing sauce after it's pulled, or do both.   You're adding flavor and salt - not sure if it makes it more moist, the fat and gelatin make it seem moist with or without an injection - unless it's way overcooked.
    I tried injecting as well as not injecting and I can't tell a huge difference in taste.  Both were excellent - good flavor, moist, but I couldn't rate one over the other.  I do know that its basically useless to inject the boneless Boston Butt's as the injection just runs out for the most part.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm a let the pig speak for itself kinda guy...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • When injecting do you do it the night before or right before it hits the Egg per food safety?
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I use Butcher BBQ products. you need some time before cooking, but not necessary to inject overnight unless you want to. I don't and haven't seen the down side. I have done both with similar results.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    For you prior to the cook injectors-cover the target meat with a saran wrap type material and inject thru it.  Controlls the stray shots and clean-up is much easier.  Yes-I learned the hard way!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I know the tip that lousubcap mentioned.  yet I have slacks and a sweater with injection squirted on them right this very second.  Gah! 

I used Chris Lilly's injection spiked with a touch of apple pie moonshine tonight.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    I use a modified version of Myron Mixon's hog injection recipe for mine. Notice a huge difference in the flavor but not the moisture (always moist). I inject every time now.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I know the tip that lousubcap mentioned.  yet I have slacks and a sweater with injection squirted on them right this very second.  Gah! 

I used Chris Lilly's injection spiked with a touch of apple pie moonshine tonight.
    How did that turn out?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• otter
    otter Posts: 340
    Hey Hapster, how did your pulled pork turn out?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • I use Lawry's Teriyaki with pineapplejuice marinade, twelve ounce bottle costs about $3.50.  Available at most food stores.  I get two butts injected out of a bottle.  I inject maybe an hour prior to cooking.  I have wrapped and waited overnight, but i can't tell any difference??  And it doesn't make the pork taste like "teriyaki", but adds a rich taste to the butt.  This works on "low and slows" and also on "turbo cooks"..
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94

I am definitely a believer in injecting butts. I started doing it about 4 months ago and feel like my results have been taken to a completely different level! I also use the Chris Lilly recipe.

Crunk

• @YEMTrey - I've used that injection for years, this was the first time with the moonshine. Couldn't tell a difference between the two, honestly. I only added 1/4 cup. I'll try it with more next time.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • I injected an 8# butt last week with the Italian dressing injection that's been referenced on this site a bunch.  It turned out really good.  I was afraid that it would have too strong a taste of the dressing - but, it didn't.  It brings out a very deep, rich flavor.  

It's one of my favorite things about this site - it's the same "hunk o' meat" but there are so many different great ideas that bring out a different flavor!  

@otter, I strongly recommend!  ....give 'er a try! 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I have heard of using cola or soy sauce based injections as well. I haven't tried the soy yet but the cola is a good compliment.
  • What does everyone think of taking the Egret's ham injection recipe and trying it in a butt?