Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide?

Options
I am in no way criticizing just looking for some clarification and understanding. I see a lot of Eggheads talking about cooking with this method. I have no experience with it but I am wondering if it tastes better than egged food? When is the Sous Vide preferred over the Egg?
Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA

Comments

• SeeingSpots
    Options
    I've never done it, but I think it's a combination.  Sous vide to cook the middle, Egg to sear the outside.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I think of it more as a compliment to the egg. I'm new to sous vide, but have already graduated from a DIY crock pot unit to a recently purchased water immersion circulator (sous vide) unit almost brand new I got on e-bay for $250, which is a whole lot easier to swallow than $700 for the Polysci unit.. Similar to this one that is being sold by same guy I bought from (This is a steal if you can get for $250 or so... http://www.ebay.com/itm/150987224882?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649.  -- I'm not in any way endorsing/affiliated with this seller/product but he did ship quick and unit was as indicated if anyone is interested. My experience so far is with  meats (chicken, pork and steaks) and I personally see 2 primary benefits to sous vide: 1) cooks to the perfect doneness regardless of size of cut (or quantity if cooking for multiple folks) 2) very tender/doesn't dry out. I have only tried one "long" cook on a london broil and it came out great. I still use the egg to sear/finish. If you want to try it, I recommend you try a couple of steaks at home, just fill up a large cooler with hot water, add boiling water or ice as needed to get to a 128 degree temp. Next, you need to vacuum seal a couple steaks (I season after sous vide and before searing); just put the bag in the cooler for 1.5-2 hours. Remove, season, sear (90 seconds a side at 700) and then serve.  Good luck. I think you'll enjoy.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, provided a little more understanding.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    IMO, best part about sous vide is being able to take tough, cheap pieces of meat that need the bejesus cooked out of them to break down the tough connective tissue (typically braised or slow cooked to 200-ish), and cook them a much lower temperature.  You get something you can't get any other way - a truly moist, tender, flavorful piece of meat. 

And it's really easy.  Seal it up, throw it in the bath and wait.  Pull out, sear.
    Options
    Gotcha. How much do they cost?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can build one for around $50.  Professional models start around $800.  Most fall between $150 and $500.
    Options
    Nola did you build your own or purchase one?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Both.  Built one first, then bought one.

Options
    Check out the Aca kitchen sidekic for $160 its a good way to start.
    Lynnwood WA
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Thanks for the good info!
  • Patrick Baker
    Options

A new sous vide product is on Kicstarter right now that might interest a few of you. I know it got my interest as I decided to go ahead and back it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codlo/codlo-a-powerful-compact-controller-for-sous-vide 

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    I've made 2 steaks with just a cooler, zip-lock bags, and hot water.  Checked the temp every 45 min or so and adjusted to keep it around 135 then seared on the egg at hotter then hell.  They came out super tender and moist.  I wasn't too happy with the searing as I like the steaks to be kinda burnt on the outside. It was super EZ and cost $0.  When I have the time I'll do steaks this way from now on.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    +1 kitchen sidekic ordered via amazon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    BREWnQ said:
    I've made 2 steaks with just a cooler, zip-lock bags, and hot water.  Checked the temp every 45 min or so and adjusted to keep it around 135 then seared on the egg at hotter then hell.  They came out super tender and moist.  I wasn't too happy with the searing as I like the steaks to be kinda burnt on the outside. It was super EZ and cost $0.  When I have the time I'll do steaks this way from now on.
    That's called "hot tubbing"