Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Formula for calculating cook time for pulled pork

Trying to go to sleep after my Maverick woke me a third time, I realized I could calculate a base cook time with a simple formula. Assuming you turbo a butt at 375, it cooks at an hour per pound. 10 lbs... 10 hours. So by taking the weight, multiplying it by 375 and dividing by the grill temp, you get a ballpark figure. I know, a formula. But you think of some off the beaten path stuff when you're sleep deprived. So a 9 pounder at 225... 9 x 375=3375. Divide that by 225 and it should take 15 hours to cook a 9 pounder at 225. A 6 pounder at 250 would take 9 hours. Seem right? I cooked mine last night at 280. Formula says 12 hours. Mine took 11:40. The hickory chunks created a few temperature spikes, the timing matches. With so many camps on cook temps for the butt, this just seemed to make sense. Nothing is absolute, but it's good for planning purposes. My sleep deprived two cents. By the way, the pulled pork tasted divine. Thanks for all your help and advice

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments