Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL table question, ergonomics

jeroldharter
jeroldharter Posts: 556
edited October 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I am planning a table for my XL using a granite slab top with a whole cut for the egg. I wonder if that creates an issue with reaching the back of the grill? I notice some designs with a U-shaped opening an the egg is moved forward a bit which improves the reach. I'm normal height but just want to make sure I don't build something that looks great but functions poorly.

Comments

• I am wonderingnabout the comparison of these two designs: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm 6'1" and both of those would be fine. My xl table has no dip cut out. I'll try to remember to measure it when I get home.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • my table doesnt have a cut out, but i did lower the overall height to allow me to reach in a little easier.  Plus, since my table is on wheels, I liked that it lowered the center of gravity and I'm no longer worried about it tipping over.
  • My table/ XL egg is 1 1/2" higher than BGE plans.  I am also 6'1".  I have no problem reaching the back or down into the pit to build my charcoal.  I built it this way on purpose so I would not have to bend down as much.  I will say it makes it a bit harder to pull the egg out of the hole if needed.  My wife who is 5'4" can reach the back.  If you add a woo from the ceramic grill store, it brings the cooking grate up to felt level so everything is even easier to get at plus you have the versitality of the woo.