Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pit Beef Questions

I think I've decided I'm going to try and tackle some pit beef for the game Sunday. Figured it would be a great way to break in my new meat slicer. I've been doing my research, reading old threads and stuff (not done yet) but figured I'd ask some questions of others who have done it in the past. I've figured I'd pull at 125ish, serve with a Tiger sauce on Kaiser (is that right?) rolls with raw onions.

1. I've read top round roast, bottom round and eye of round. Is there a preferred cut?

2. What works best - a reverse sear or just cook direct turning often?

3. If I do a reverse sear, should I use a drip pan and try to collect some drippings for an au jus? I don't think that is "standard', but au jus is always good.

4. Would it be best to cook it the day before, chill it and then use a meat slicer to cut it? And if so, do you reheat it? Or should I cook it Sunday, let it rest (for how long?) and then slice it?

5. Is there anything else you can think of that I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

Comments