Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Coals

Hopefully I don't get scorned for this, and I"m sure its been addressed before, but I have a coal question.

My local retailer is $35 for a bag of Big Green Egg coals.  To me this seems a bit steep.  I'll pay it if I have to, not worth pinching pennies if its going to compromise the quality of your food, but was also interested in possible alternatives.

Does anyone have any experience with anythign else that they though performed well?  I'm in Dallas area, does anyone know if Barbecue Galore carries anything comprable? 

Thanks in advance.

- EAT BEEF -
·
«1

Comments

  • Wally World sells Royal Oak, like an 8 pound bag for $6.50 a bag.  Royal Oak has been the most consistant lump i have found.  Sam's carries something called "Best of The West", tried one bag, it was terrible.  My dealer's prices have gone thru the roof, guess they just don't want to handle it?
    ·
  • Royal Oak = BGE lump...RO is sold under many different brands.
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,799
    Royal Oak (Red bag) is good.

    I just got two bags of Wicked Good that I am waiting for the weather to get nicer so I can try it.

    I have heard bad things regarding Cowboy,  Frontier brands.

    Check out this link.

    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

    _______________________________________________________________
    LBGE, Adjustable Rig, Spider, High-Que grate, maverick ET-732, Thermapen,


    Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • That is steep it's only 13$ a bag here in Waco. There are plenty of good options out there check out naked whiz's charcoal database. Also if you have an Ace Hardware near you they might carry a brand called wicked good charcoal. It should be around 20$ a bag and is great.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982

    Royal oak is good, can be found at walmart.

    Kroger brand is made by same company as BGE and RO, used to use it a lot, but shop at Tom Thumb now.

    Central Market carries their own brand of mesquite (don't know how you feel about mesguite) which is good and B&B. I like both.

    And if you go to Elliot's in Plano, they have Ozark Oak (and a bunch of BGE stuff and Dizzy Pig rubs). A bit more than RO, but good stuff.

    That enough to get you started on some things you can find in Dallas.

    Oh...one more...Albertson's sometimes carries a Cowboy charcoal. Not to be confused with what most people refer to, but as in Dallas Cowboy Football. Last time I found it, it was $5.99 for an 8lb bag. It might be seasonal depending on the Albertsons.image

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    pretty much all lump made in the usa is good lump, outside the usa wicked good charcoal is good. your paying about 20 dollars extra for that pretty bge lump bag thats full of royal oak lump.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,451
    Nature - Glo is one of the best I have found. $16.00 for 20lbs. Large pieces, burns clean quickly, quick light time .
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    edited February 2013
    My # 1 is Ozark Oak.  Second is RO ( which is BGE lump only a lot less $$$). Not a fan of Wicked Good.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

    ·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I use Humphrey exclusively. It's the best I've ever used. Gets nuclear hot and burns forever on low and slow cooks. You can order it thru the mail if your local stores don't carry it. Very nice price as well. 13.00 per 20 pound bag(approx.).
    ·
  • I use The Good-One .$20 for a 20lb bag.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    Mickey said:
    My # 1 is Ozark Oak.  Second is RO ( with is BGE lump only a lot less $$$). Not a fan of Wicked Good.
    ozark and maple leaf are the only 2 lumps i would go out of my way for and maple leaf is not sold down here any more, only in canada now. beware of royal oak made outside the country, read the label for country of origin
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,705
    Used wicked good via ace online purchase. I like it, runs hotter but does not leave smokey taste of RO. Might be my go to lump.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    Mickey said:
    My # 1 is Ozark Oak.  Second is RO ( with is BGE lump only a lot less $$$). Not a fan of Wicked Good.
    ozark and maple leaf are the only 2 lumps i would go out of my way for and maple leaf is not sold down here any more, only in canada now. beware of royal oak made outside the country, read the label for country of origin
    fishlessman correct. I should have said US/USA made for RO only.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982

    I really liked the Komodo Sustainable.

     

    But who can afford what they want for it? Its stupid expensive. More than BGE!

    image

    Burns long and clean, has a sweet aroma. If I could afford it, I'd use it exclusively for desserts on the Egg.

     

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    image

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    image

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • I regularly order three 22 lbs bags of wicked good directly from the manufacturer. Total cost delivered to my door in Virginia is around $70.00.  I haven't found anything near as good. 

     "Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

    Med & XL

    ·
  • tays44tays44 Posts: 93
    Wally World sells Royal Oak, like an 8 pound bag for $6.50 a bag.  Royal Oak has been the most consistant lump i have found.  Sam's carries something called "Best of The West", tried one bag, it was terrible.  My dealer's prices have gone thru the roof, guess they just don't want to handle it?
    I would say they go through the roof because people will pay for it and the retailers probably buy bags from distributors for $15.
    - EAT BEEF -
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,581
    I noticed that my local Walmart stopped carrying RO...they haven't had it the last few times I looked anyway. That may be seasonal though. They did start carrying B&B though...first time I've seen it at Walmart's around here. I think it was just over $7 for the bag. It works pretty well, but it does produce more ash than RO. Big to medium sized chunks though, with minimal crackle and pop, and it burned clean. Seemed to have a really long burn time too. I've been impressed so far!


    image.jpg 2.6M
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,145
    edited February 2013
    Komodo sustainable is really good, but I can't get it locally. Picked up a box while in the US last year.  

    Another thought, many forum members have noted that the larger bags of RO are better and have more large pieces than the smaller 8# bags, if you can find them buy the larger bags. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,451
    Dyal_SC said:

    I noticed that my local Walmart stopped carrying RO...they haven't had it the last few times I looked anyway. That may be seasonal though. They did start carrying B&B though...first time I've seen it at Walmart's around here. I think it was just over $7 for the bag. It works pretty well, but it does produce more ash than RO. Big to medium sized chunks though, with minimal crackle and pop, and it burned clean. Seemed to have a really long burn time too. I've been impressed so far!


    Dyal, grab the Nature Glo from old Timey. Solid lump
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    @Dyal_SC ; are you getting the oak? I think thats the brown bag with red on it. Lately I've bben seeing a yellow bag, but haven't stopped to see what it is. Maybe mesquite, I think.

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,414
    Griffin said:

    Royal oak is good, can be found at walmart.

    Kroger brand is made by same company as BGE and RO, used to use it a lot, but shop at Tom Thumb now.

    Central Market carries their own brand of mesquite (don't know how you feel about mesguite) which is good and B&B. I like both.

    And if you go to Elliot's in Plano, they have Ozark Oak (and a bunch of BGE stuff and Dizzy Pig rubs). A bit more than RO, but good stuff.

    That enough to get you started on some things you can find in Dallas.

    Oh...one more...Albertson's sometimes carries a Cowboy charcoal. Not to be confused with what most people refer to, but as in Dallas Cowboy Football. Last time I found it, it was $5.99 for an 8lb bag. It might be seasonal depending on the Albertsons.image

    Good Lord that is the ugliest bag of charcoal I have ever seen!  ;)
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,414
    Griffin said:

    I really liked the Komodo Sustainable.

     

    But who can afford what they want for it? Its stupid expensive. More than BGE!

    image

    Burns long and clean, has a sweet aroma. If I could afford it, I'd use it exclusively for desserts on the Egg.

     

    How much it cost and where do you get it? Direct from their factory in Indonesia?
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982

    You shut your mouth!! Actually, I think I might fall off the Cowboy band wagon. Grew up watching them, but sick and tired of them and their owner.

    I just realized...that bag was 12 lbs. For $5.99, that's a pretty good deal. I can ignore the bag.

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,581
    Griffin said:

    @Dyal_SC ; are you getting the oak? I think thats the brown bag with red on it. Lately I've bben seeing a yellow bag, but haven't stopped to see what it is. Maybe mesquite, I think.

    Yup, its the oak. Used it a couple times now with good results...except for the ash.

    image.jpg 2.2M
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,581
    Chubbs, I'll have to pay Old Timey a visit. Thx for the heads up!
    ·
  • tays44tays44 Posts: 93
    Thanks everyone.  I"m going to see abaout getting some Royal Oak.
    - EAT BEEF -
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,414
    Griffin said:

    You shut your mouth!! Actually, I think I might fall off the Cowboy band wagon. Grew up watching them, but sick and tired of them and their owner.

    I just realized...that bag was 12 lbs. For $5.99, that's a pretty good deal. I can ignore the bag.

    Go figure, rivals in the same boat. At least we were able to draft your college star. Hopefully his knee heals well.
    ·
Sign In or Register to comment.