Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turbo butts are "DA BOMB"

I followed @Mickey's instructions and the turbo butt turned out amazing! Coated with olive oil then rubbed with Dizzy Dust. In the fridge over night. Then turbo'd the thing today. 5.5 lb bone in.... 350 dome for 3.5 hrs until it hit 160 IT, then foiled, 2 more hours @ 350 and pulled @ 200 IT. Wrapped in towels and put in cooler until SWMBO got home. Also made baked beans on the egg and made some Hawaiian cole slaw. Everything was great. Turbo is the way to go. I think it was better and more moist than the low and slow I done last week.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

image.jpg 2.3M
image.jpg 2.1M
·

Comments

• Nice!  I think I'm going to be turboing a butt and a brisket Sunday.. Good to know the steps you took.

How was the bark?  I've never coated anything with olive oil.. Usually use yellow mustard.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    edited February 2013
    Told you so :)] Next is the Turbo Ribs..... Man that meal looks good. Never herd of the olive oil ( mustard yes) something new to try.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,720
    Looking good. Turbo Butt is on the menu for Sunday. Just for the 500 crew so plenty of leftovers coming. Turbo Butt Nachos, Turbo Butt Pizza, Turbo Butt...
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,857
    Looks real good!!! Gonna have to try this "Turbo" method soon

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Bring them over one at a time Mickey...one at a time. 
    :))
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,059
    I dont use oil or mustard.. I didn't notice a difference.
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Thanks everyone. BTW the bark was good too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,894
    edited February 2013

The pulled pork looks great.  I will have to give this another try.  I have attempted a couple of times and they were fine, just not as good as my overnighters.  Perhaps I was waiting too long to foil (think I foiled at about 180). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·