Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question on pork butt

I have done 5 or 6 butts since getting my XL at the end of summer, but they all have been around 5lbs. I have one pushing 11 and by what I have expereiced with the smaller ones I figure this one should take ball park 20 hours? I usually run around 250 at the grate not dome. I am just look for some validation.
·

Comments

• Sounds about right to me.  I usually run in the same ballpark for temp and would plan 18-20 hours for that one.  
    ·
  • Thanks. I appreciate it. I thought I was figuring that out correctly.

·
  • RocEGGRocEGG Posts: 85
    I have found that it is not necessarily a linear scale. I find that the additional time to finish as the butt gets larger is not a simple addition of time. I would keep a close eye on it. I have had some of them get done hours and hours earlier than I had estimated. luckily you can just foil and cooler it to hold.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
    ·
  • I have done 5 or 6 butts since getting my XL at the end of summer, but they all have been around 5lbs. I have one pushing 11 and by what I have expereiced with the smaller ones I figure this one should take ball park 20 hours? I usually run around 250 at the grate not dome. I am just look for some validation.
    You might want to do a search on "Turbo Butts". have seen several threads on this technique, going 350* dome indirect. I have yet to try it but all the comments about it were positive. 

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I just put a turbo butt in the cooler. 6lb bone in. Start to finish 5.5 hours. Followed @Mickey's instructions. Will let you know how it turned out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,420
    We want pics please
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated
    ·