Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SuperBowl Pre Cook

FIrst of all Hello to everyone.  I bought two large eggs (one for father in law) for Christmas.  I have been lurking regularly and got approved after about two weeks of trying to get a signon for some reason.  So far i have made one butt, Dijon Chicken thighs, Spatchcock Chicken, Ribs on Christmas Day (little tough) and  prime rib. 

Being from Baltimore and deciding not to spend the $5-6K to get just one ticket (wife is busy) for a ticket and airfare i have lots of money to spend on my party.  I have a bushel of crabs being shipped in, 15 Softball sized Jumbo lump crabcakes from Faidleys in Lexington Market, some Berger Cookies and Goetze's Caramel Creams all made in Balto and being shipped. 

I will also have some shrimp cocktail, wings, baby back ribs, chili, Maryland Crab soup, meatball and various other things.

Anyone in richmond area please feel free to come over by the way.

My group question is - what has anyone had luck with pre-cooking and then reheating among things like the ribs, wings, chili?  I might want to throw on some Polock Johnny sausages too about 4:00 Sunday.  I figure chili i will make on Sat and reheat.  Any benefit to doing ribs ahead or just throw on Sun morning? 

I did buy one of those adjustable rig things with the B&R combo and an extender with Sliding grid.  Not sure how to hook it all up yet but i will find out Friday when it arrives.

Oh and GO RAVENS!!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Welcome! I only wish your cook was closer to Bawlmer!  I love all your treats! You must REALLY love your friends with those softballs from Faidley's. I work 2 blocks away, so I occasionally hit up the raw bar and take some crabcakes home. Hooray for the Berger's and Goetze's! 

Love dem birds, hon!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Damn. I might fly to your house.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    Sounds like quite a party!  IMO, chili is a great cook ahead item.  I have also had success with ribs.  I basically did something like this:

Note that after the foil stage you can just refrigerate them, then put them back on the egg and heat them up and apply sauce.  You could also use a gasser for the heat n sauce stage. 

I wouldn't say there is a benefit to cooking them ahead other than it frees up time and your egg on Sun! 

Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2013
    jbva,
    I'm in the area.  May need to follow the smell of your Egg for a pre-party Sunday.  What part of Richmond?  I'm in Midlothian.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My mom grew up in Dundalk, MD.. I can appreciate good crabcakes!
  • Eggcelsior
    BYS1981 said:
    I am sure that you appreciate the best crabcakes in the world, then  :D
  • jbva
    jbva Posts: 11
    500,  i am in Ashland at Atlee exit
    Eggcelsior, have you had Faidleys?  I have never tried them, ordered as that is the vendor the Mayor has used in the Mayoral Bets, which obviously they have won so far.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I have to travel through Baltimore on Sunday....I will miss most of the game. Wish I could get one of these crabcakes at the airport!

My in-laws live in B'more, and they always tell me I should try Faidley's, but we never seem to make it there.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

BYS1981 said:

I am sure that you appreciate the best crabcakes in the world, then  :D

Ya I enjoy bmore crabcakes for sure.. I don't like old bay and boiled crab primarily becauseI am lazy lol.

My family is going to my sons preschool' crabfeed and my wife can't wait. Essentially, salad, bread, a pasta, and unlimited crab.. of course a bar too. Pretty typical fundraising event out here, here being the Bay Area, CA.

My parents met at pax river out there and when my dad received orders to Moffet Field, CA my mom came with them.. rest is history. Lol
  • Eggcelsior
    jbva said:

500,  i am in Ashland at Atlee exit

Eggcelsior, have you had Faidleys?  I have never tried them, ordered as that is the vendor the Mayor has used in the Mayoral Bets, which obviously they have won so far.
    Oh Hell yes! They are awesome. I will walk over today and post a picture of what you're in for.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Chili is one of the world's greatest reheats!  Always better on Day 2 or 3
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • You should have gotten some Otterbein cookies to go a long with that spread. Those things are like crack they are so addictive.

Nice to see Baltimore/Maryland folks on here.

Go RAVENS!!!

• jbva
    Funny thing about Faidley is placing the order.  Man answered phone - Faidley's what do you wanna know?  Took my info all down, no web ordering or anything remotely like it.  I asked how big and he said - a little smaller than a softball and i can only eat one, but then i am 80, at 40 i could do 1 1/2...

Gonna precook some chili tomorrow, ribs on Saturday, Wings and Sausages on Sunday.  Only have about 10-15 coming but i am gonna "stuff-em"
  • jbva
    Seapoint
    Mom Brings me Otterbeins every time she comes to RIchmond, and Graul's Chicken Salad,  I forgot Otterbein, but 8 boxes of Berger's are already here, they will have to do at this point.
  • Eggcelsior
    Are you going clipper city or natty boh for beer?
  • Eggcelsior
    AleBrewer said:

I have to travel through Baltimore on Sunday....I will miss most of the game. Wish I could get one of these crabcakes at the airport!

My in-laws live in B'more, and they always tell me I should try Faidley's, but we never seem to make it there.

I presume you are passing through BWI. You can grab Orbrykis on the B concourse. They shut the original location in Fells Point down last year. They were the East Baltimore rival for the city's best crabcakes. I have seen mixed reviews of the airport location, but that is usually for cold french fries and crappy "college kid" servers. Check out the Thurgood Marshall mosaic and the stained glass blue crab.
  • Wish I could get some Natty Boh down in Florida.  Ill have to hit up Faidleys nest time I come up for a Ravens game.
  • jbva
    No Natty Boh in Virginia

I am going to a brewery about a mile from my House Chris Ray from the Orioles just opened called COTU (centerof the universe).  That will be Balto enough
  • I have to travel through Baltimore on Sunday....I will miss most of the game. Wish I could get one of these crabcakes at the airport!

I presume you are passing through BWI. You can grab Orbrykis on the B concourse. They shut the original location in Fells Point down last year. They were the East Baltimore rival for the city's best crabcakes. I have seen mixed reviews of the airport location, but that is usually for cold french fries and crappy "college kid" servers. Check out the Thurgood Marshall mosaic and the stained glass blue crab.
    Yep....passed through BWI on Friday, and will be there for a few hours on Sunday. I've been to Orbryki's before, and will probably head there during my Layover to watch some of the game and enjoy a beer or two.

Will check out the others you mentioned...thanks.