Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need help - Packer or Flat?

Only have done one brisket. Which one to buy, a packer or flat? How do you recommend cooking. Thanks for input.
·

Comments

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,778
    Ive done a full packer (15lbs on a BGE Large) coated in Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.  250-275 and let it ride - It took ~ 10 hours.  Was AWESOME!

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    edited January 2013
    I almost always do flats. When I do find a packer, the price is higher than I want. Here is my last post on my method Flat out Tasty 

This was a 8.5 lb flat. I start at 225° fat side down, we took it to the kitchen when the internal temp got to 165° and injected it with a beef broth, bouillon, worcestershire, and black pepper mixture. Bumped the egg up to 300° foiled it and start checking how easily the thermometer probe slides in and out at 195° and this one was much better at 205° so thats where we pulled it and put it in a cooler with towels for 2 hours. 

Some guys don't inject or foil. But I do flats all the time and this was my method for the most tender one yet. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • I tend to think the packer is the way to go, mostly because I love cutting the point up for burnt ends.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,055
    Point is the best part - I'll only cook packers.  Flats are great if corned and made into pastrami, IMO.

·
  • CullumCullum Posts: 214
    I can purchase just the point. Would that be a good way to go, a couple of points?

·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I like a packer. You have a nice lean flat and a nice fatty point. Caters to all your guests taste.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,669
    Get a left side packer.
    ·