Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef back ribs awesome

Just did some beef back ribs. Used this recipe. Awesome

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/beef-back-ribs-aka-dino-bones.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
beef2.jpg 72.1K
beef1.jpg 93.9K
beef.jpg 81.5K
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,348
    =P~
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • I just get the kitchen all cleaned up after dinner and now I'm hungry again! Billyray, that does look tasty! Great cook! CONGRATS! ^:)^
    ·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 382
    My new favorite
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 447
    nice!!!!doin ribs this weekend!going to try this recipe for sure!thanks billyray! :D
    ·
  • LeedogLeedog Posts: 16
    Ribs look great!! I know what I am having just as soon as I get back in the Great USA Saturday morning.........
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    Those look like they turned out great! 

Beef back ribs are my favorite rib and you have me craving them right now.
    ·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 233
    Those look amazing, I will definitely try them out.  

Question:
    I once tried putting a fist size chuck of wood like they seem to be recommending. It produced so much smoke, I chickened out and removed it to put small chips instead. How come when they put the meat in the video there is barely any smoke and yet, they show a big chunk in the pictures? 
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,472
    Looks great - I love beef ribs, but I never think to buy them.  Thanks for the reminder!

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,215
    Bjorg said:
    Those look amazing, I will definitely try them out.  

Question:
    I once tried putting a fist size chuck of wood like they seem to be recommending. It produced so much smoke, I chickened out and removed it to put small chips instead. How come when they put the meat in the video there is barely any smoke and yet, they show a big chunk in the pictures? 
    It may have caught on fire but that will quickly be snuffed out do to the lack of air-flow. Then it will just smolder.When you put the chunks in, let it sit for a bit and the smoke will begin to clear. You want the "clean smoke" that is bluish and translucent.
    ·
    Yeah it was definitely bad thick white smoke. I guess it takes much longer to get clear smoke than with chips. While waiting for this answer, I searched the forum and a guy recommended putting the chunk as you light the lump. So your right, waiting it out should solve it. 

Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,472
    Mix it in with the lump so you get steady smoke.  Less smoke for longer makes much better BBQ than heavy smoke for a short period.  Always wait for good the good smoke like eggcelsior said above.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,215
    Mix it in with the lump so you get steady smoke.  Less smoke for longer makes much better BBQ than heavy smoke for a short period.  Always wait for good the good smoke like eggcelsior said above.
    The mods should make this Stike pictorial one of those sticky threads....

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    edited January 2013
    I forgot to mention that I used red oak and that made them even better. If you can get red oak you've got to try it and you'll never use any other wood with the beef ribs. Also these were only $2.99/lb., makes for an inexpensive meal.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
    Good tips. I would never have guessed to use red oak, I will try it out. 
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    The butcher left a lot of meat on them bones! Lucky you. I don't usually find them that meaty but wish I did. Looks great!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Beef back ribs on the egg as we speak. Will pull at halftime of Kentucky- Texas A & M game. Game at A & M but I'm confident KY will win this one on the road.
    ·