Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

French Bread Pizza

After seeing some of the pizza cooks coming out of here lately, I was having a craving for some pizza. Had some French bread sitting around that I needed to do something with, so why not do French bread pizzas? One of the pizzas got slathered in some Buitoni's marinara sauce, the other got an equal parts of the sauce and Stubbs BBQ sauce.

Next was a hefty dose of grated mozz and a bit of cheddar. One got pepperoni

and the other got some left over pulled beef, sauteed red onions and some bleu cheese.

This was the first time using my AR rig to do anything like pizza and I wasn't positive on the set up, but I put the oval stone on the bottom layer and the grid on the top with the pizza stone on top and then let it settle in at 450. Not sure if that is the preferred method.

Only took about 10 mintues to get to this

I was worried about the bottom because they were getting really dark and were about to burn, so I took them off and finished them under the broiler. Here's the pepperoni. I hate it when toppings slide off of things.

And the one I was more excited about

Now before there are any wise crack remarks from the peanut gallery, no, I did not eat them both. I was gonna save one for lunch the next day. Not being able to decide which one, I cut them both in half and sampled each of them. Hard to beat a classic like pepperoni, but the pulled beef one definitely won. While good, I don't think I knocked this one out of the park. I think next time, I'm going to flatten the bread a bit somehow. It just seemed too thick and while the outside got all crispy crunchy like, the inside was still soft and not really warm at all. Might lower the cooking temp and maybe change up the set up. Might just go back to the place setter and pizza stone for this one unless anybody has any recommendations....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    love french bread pizza, what i do with them is dig half the filling out of the roll then make the pizza. those red delihots from the sub shops go really good with beef, back in college that was one of my favorite pizzas, roast beef with deli hots. this low carb diet im on has me wanting that pizza bad
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great to me!  I haven't done this before (unless you count the Stouffers I ate in college), but what if you were to toast the top of the bread before you applied the toppings?  Perhaps put the bread face down on a hot pizza stone for a while. 

I'm also doing low carb so this is torture for me as well.  I think I shall give myself the weekend off ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That sounds like it might work @SmokeyPitt.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks great, Garfield! I've been wondering the best pizza setup with the AR as well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You got me in with the pulled beef....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great looking ...... "pies"?

Nice FB pizza, always a hit. Interesting to note that FB dough is very similar to a non-oil pizza crust. I wonder how it would work if you shaped the loaf then added the topping. Cooked it all together - note to self, new project!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    @Skiddymarker - I wouldn't know. This was store bought. I'd like to make more bread on the Egg, its just always lack of time and/or planning.

Rowlett, Texas

• Looks awesome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I am not sure the pizza stone is necessary.  I would probably just go indirect and set the bread on the cook grid.  Since the bread is cooked already not sure setting them on a stone adds much, other than possibly buring the bottom.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    MikeP624 said:
    I am not sure the pizza stone is necessary.  I would probably just go indirect and set the bread on the cook grid.  Since the bread is cooked already not sure setting them on a stone adds much, other than possibly buring the bottom.
    I like the idea of a pizza stone, just not pre-heated. If you pre-heat the stone, I agree you will char the bottom. If you toss FB pizza onto a cold stone, in an already indirect set-up at 400-450, I think the top will finish nicely and the crust will not burn or char as the pizza stone slowly heats. Just a theory, but Griff has given me the ideal excuse to try this. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I really like French bread pizza too, but I was wondering if you have problems with a thick piece of bread like that being used as a pizza crust. Looks like you made the best of it though. Please keep us advised of your perfected set up that ends up being the one that works best for you.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks good..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    I did this as well a few weeks ago. I buttered and put garlic on the bread first before the sauce. Was pretty good!
  • Griffin
    Photo Egg on the other board made a good point on my setup. Using the oval stone on the bottom and then then pizza stone on the top was way too much space. He suggested putting the oval stone on the second to top layer and then the grate and pizza stone on the top. I believe that is how he said he does pizza. Or somebody did. Anyway, just more excuses to try it again.

Rowlett, Texas

• Another great cook, Griffin!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Griffin said:

Photo Egg on the other board made a good point on my setup. Using the oval stone on the bottom and then then pizza stone on the top was way too much space. He suggested putting the oval stone on the second to top layer and then the grate and pizza stone on the top. I believe that is how he said he does pizza. Or somebody did. Anyway, just more excuses to try it again.

With the rig, I get best results by putting everything on the top...I don't use any of the levels. My setup is bge grid on top of rig and on that is stone for indirect, spacers, stone to cook on... Gets everything nice and high in the dome.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos