Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spar Urathaine changing color of stain

Options
not sure how you speel urathaneee.. 

I have almost finished staining my table and am going to put spar urathynei for a top coat to make it shiny and safe.  I really want the color to be a tad darker but i feel like the spar will change the color some.  Does any one have any tips?  If i put one more coat on the table I feel itll be perfect but I dont want to add the spar and it darken it too much, which i guess wont be the worst problem.  Or i could leave it how it is and spar it if it is going to darken it.  I dont really mean darken but the color when the stain is wet is slightley richer and when the spar is on there that is what it is going to look like.  

Gracious, i hope through the typing mess that some sense came out and i can get an answer or too!

XLBGE 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    you can get a preview of what it'll look like on some scrap wood of the same species or if you apply the stain and spar urethane on some innocuous part of the egg - like the underside of the top or back.

Generally, the clear coats bring out the color - make it richer, and a little darker.  Worth doing, IMO.
    Options
    all the doors and woodwork i did in the house i used that on, slightly darker but brighter when applied, darkens a little more in time. do a sample like was said. the floors i did with an oilbased urethane, they really darkened over the years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nola is correct, again.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    well... tried to quote yall and say thanks but it is awaiting post approval! 

THANKS
    @-) never though about a test plot  L-)

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    all the doors and woodwork i did in the house i used that on, slightly darker but brighter when applied, darkens a little more in time. do a sample like was said. the floors i did with an oilbased urethane, they really darkened over the years
    For indoor stuff furniture (I make a lot of it), I've tried a bunch of finishes - lacquers, varnish, danish oil, etc.  I've settled on flooring paint - polyurethane.  Last year I accidentally bought water based polyurethane floor paint - it seems to darken wood the least, and supposedly more durable than the oil version.  I've been sold on that.  No sanding between coats, brushes wash with water, dries fast - good schtuff.

@MrCookingNurse - Isn't that ANNOYING?   Anyway, no problem - post some pics!
    Options
    For indoor stuff furniture (I make a lot of it), I've tried a bunch of finishes - lacquers, varnish, danish oil, etc.  I've settled on flooring paint - polyurethane.  Last year I accidentally bought water based polyurethane floor paint - it seems to darken wood the least, and supposedly more durable than the oil version.  I've been sold on that.  No sanding between coats, brushes wash with water, dries fast - good schtuff.

@MrCookingNurse - Isn't that ANNOYING?   Anyway, no problem - post some pics!
    i did the floors with some kind of industrial oil base finish, was a good hard finish i got from a guy that just restores floors. was very unhappy with the spar urethane at first, it easily scratched for the first year and then seem to get harder, i wanted a spar version because my house literally sits 4 feet from the lake and the uv makes ithe inside of my house look like a light bright. did a penny cork floor in the bath a few years ago and they recommended the water base finish but instead i just sealed the cork with granite sealer which really looks nice. i did do the cork sample with the water base urethane and put the sample in a place for several months with alot of wear and tear and it does stand up even on a softer cork
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, by nature of the application (wood expands, contracts and flexes outside), spar has oils added that make the finish elastic, and as a consequence, soft.  If it didn't have them, it would crack and de-laminate. 

The really good marine spar paints get chalky on the outside when they get old - you can sand off the outside layer and apply new.  The cheap stuff, like Helmsman, will loose all it's elasticity and crack.  When it looses it's elasticity (oils), it get's hard and doesn't scratch as easily.  Down side is it doesn't do it's job as a sealer as well - from moisture. 
    henapple said:
    Nola is correct, again.
    lol.

you can get a preview of what it'll look like on some scrap wood of the same species or if you apply the stain and spar urethane on some innocuous part of the egg - like the underside of the top or back.

Generally, the clear coats bring out the color - make it richer, and a little darker.  Worth doing, IMO.
    Duh, didnt think of a test plot. thanks man.

thanks bud

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    henapple said:
    Nola is correct, again.
    lol.

Duh, didnt think of a test plot. thanks man.

thanks bud

XLBGE