Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Sorta OT-Cubed Steak, Grits and Gravy (pic)

I apologize, as this was not cooked on the Egg.  But it is one of those Southern favorites where you never want your plate to end.  :)

For cubed steak (which is usually Cubed Venison Steak in my house), I like to sprinkle on some beef rub, dip it in an egg wash, dredge it in seasoned flour, and then pan fry it in some canola oil.  For the gravy, I pour out most of the oil from frying the steak and add in a roux of butter and flour.  Cook the flour for a little bit, then add in water, beef stock granules, heavy cream and cracked pepper.  Cook and whisk the gravy until it thickens.  For the grits, I usually take the easy way out and use the quick 5 minute grits.  I start by bringing 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 cups of chicken stock to a boil....then I whisk in 1 cup of the grits.  Reduce heat to medium low and when it's almost done, stir in about 1/4 cup of Cream Cheese.  Makes for an incredibly rich, smooth and delicious pot of grits. 

Don't get much better than that.  :)

Comments