Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two-Tier Pizza Party!

Options
Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Everyone has their favorite way of doing pizza or are wondering if there is a better way to try. I have tried legs up, legs down, high in the dome, and my favorite for the crust has been legs down with the pizza stone on the green feet. Well that is until last night.. Since I have the Swing Rack I decided to use both levels to get what I believe is the best of both worlds. Yesterday was such a nice day for January that we had to get outside and do some cooking. 

Once I had a good fire going from the Looftlighter I put in the platesetter legs up and the Swing Rack with my pizza stone on the bottom to preheat. Watching that dome temp drop after adding all of that mass was pretty funny. Once the pizza stone was 500° (verified with the IR thermometer) we went inside and started making the pizzas. We used a modified forno bravo recipe with 3 cups King Arthur Pizza Flour and 1 cup Semolina and made it in the kitchenaid.

Of course it got dark so my pictures aren't as clear as I would like the solar lights give enough light to cook but not for pictures. 

These were super thin pizzas and we were cooking for three minutes on the stone/ lower rack and two minutes on the top to finish high in the dome. I use a Super Peel and have a rotation going the entire time to maximize the lump as its burning. The do sell the super peel at Ceramic Grill works if your ordering egg stuff its always nice to only pay once for shipping. I use the super peel to get the pizza from the counter to the Egg and a metal peel to rotate and take off the egg, that way the person inside has a peel and the person running the BGE has one as well. 

These are the best pizzas that we have made on the egg and this will be our thin crust goto method from now on! 

My only change for next time would be to put my stone for my small egg on the top rack, the flames were shooting up and a couple pizzas got a little crispy. But I like it that way so I ate those pizzas.

So to answer your question from yesterday @smokesniffer yes I have used the two tier setup for Pizzas and this is how it went. 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Great looking pizzas & great use of the 2 tier!!
    =D>
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @CGW1 and @henapple Pizza is always a fun cook, but I think this method is the best yet! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great cook and nice looking pies! How did you like the KA Pizza Flour compared to what you have used before?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Options
    @caliking it is pretty close to 00 flour in taste, I think it may be a tad better cooked at a lower temperature but its been awhile since we made the last batch so I need a side by side comparison to pick it over 00, a little off topic but the last of the 00 I used in some pasta a couple weeks ago was the best pasta I have ever made. If you can find the King Arthur locally I would give it a try. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Nice lookin' pizzas!  :)
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to take pics and post them. I am going to have to see about doing that when my grate needs replacing.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Solson005
    edited January 2013
    Options
    thanks @Dyal_SC we had a few more and no leftovers as usual! 

@smokesniffer No problem, I like to document my cooks to try and duplicate or make small changes to make the next cook even better. I highly recommend the Swing Rack and this is a great way to do pizzas. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice looking pizzas!

It looks like a good time to ball up some foil and scrape off some of the flaking creosote off the inside of your dome so they don't flake off on your food. The high heat from a pizza cook loosens that stuff up.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q as you can tell we have been doing more indirect long cooks and shutting the egg down right after lately. I let the fire go for a bit after the pizzas so it is already better but will give the egg a good cleaning soon. Living it Oklahoma it was beautiful Sunday and Monday and today will be lucky to get into the 40s. So i'll look into it tomorrow when it will be 60°..

Thanks for the tip, I don't need any superbowl food with flakes of old cooks mixed in.