Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wing Question

I plan on cooking multiple batches of wings for Super Bowl Sunday. I plan on making @cazzy's wings, @necessaryindulgence's sticky wings, and some good old fashioned buffalo wings.

I plan on cooking them indirect for an hour at 400. Can I FTC them and still keep them crispy?
Mark Annville, PA
·

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    How long are you planning on FTC? Make your marinade for cazzys wings now and let the chili flakes steep for a few days, he recommended I do that the first time I made them and it made quite a difference the second time around. I also recommend using his baste at 10, 15, and 20 mins makes the color come out and give it a real good coat of sauce. I used to manage Buffalo Wild Wings years ago and we would keep wings in the warming drawer no longer than 20 mins to serve fresh, that is at a restaurant that serves wings as its main attraction so you could probably get away with 30-45 mins but there isn't much meat to work with so I would try not to do it for too long. People will eat good room temp wings just as fast at a party I have found... 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    I think the foiling will make the skin soft. May crisp back up if you finish in the oven at a high temp but you may risk drying them out....
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • Hey @cortguitarman I haven't specifically tried those recipes, but they do look awesome. I've had good luck with wings raised, indirect at 350 for 1 hour then remove stone (or PS) and crisp them up raised direct for 10-15 minutes. This has produced a wing that has great texture, is not fatty tasting or feeling and has nice crisp skin for me.

Don't know for sure but I think FTC would decrease the crispiness and make the skin a little more chewy/leathery.

Good luck and hit us with some pics when you're done.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·