Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

duck proscuitto, sous vide duck leg confit

CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,367
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
legs for sous vide confit, breast for proscuitto, skin/lumps for fat, cracklings in meatball mix, carcass for soup ... thanks to forum pioneers for sharing their duck confit and proscuitto inspirations.

Vaughan, ON
·

Comments

• Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    Wow...that is fancy!  Thanks for sharing.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Awesome. Love duck proscuitto. It looks like yours turned out really good. Did you like it? =D>
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,946
    Wow, well done! Looks great. Thanks for sharing. On my list, but have some more learning to do first.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,065
    That does look fancy! :) Delicious too.
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,914
    Very nice Gary! I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. You can pretty much drink the liquid out of the bag eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,367
    Steve, first time proscuitto and confit. Found the confit way too salty although it was cured for only 20 hours. Never had confit before, is it supposed to be salty? Used the leftover for congee and it tasted much better!
    Vaughan, ON
    ·
    edited January 2013
    Proscuitto was a hit and so easy. Cured for about 20 hours, don't remember if I rinsed it. Others reported it was done in one week but mine took just over two weeks.  I went by 30% weight loss and it had perfect 'dryness', succulent, no dried edges and uniform colour throughout.  Definitely a repeat, fun cook ...

It was 40F-45F and 60-65% humidity in our cellar

Vaughan, ON
    ·
    Steve, first time proscuitto and confit. Found the confit way too salty although it was cured for only 20 hours. Never had confit before, is it supposed to be salty? Used the leftover for congee and it tasted much better!
    Gary, You need to rinse it really well when it comes out of the cure. I slice a couple of potatoes and put them in the soaking water. Change the water frequently. I use fresh garlic, crushed peppercorns and juniper berries in the cure along with some bay leaves and thyme which helps with the salt. It should have a bit of saltiness but not enough to be overpowering.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Thanks Steve, silly me, I followed a googled recipe that did not mention soaking. How long did you cure and how long was the soak? Would like to try again when I make proscuitto.
    Vaughan, ON
    ·
    I've gone three days for confit under weight. The breasts don't like much more than 12 hours or so.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·