Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chuck Roast help

bamabbqbamabbq Posts: 4

Put on a 3.5# chuck roast about 3 hours ago and the temp is sitting at 154 and has been for around 30 minutes. I am guessing it is in a stall? Trying to make pulled beef sandwichs and need to know what temp to pull it off? I have the egg at 250.

Thanks,

Gary 

·

Comments

• BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 522
    Pull when tender IT of roughly 210
    Edina, MN

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,482
    edited January 2013
    +2 just because I'm here-and expect to take around 7 hours (total cook time) or so to get there at your current temp.
    Louisville
    ·
  • SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 214
    I'm no expert but I have been cutting my chuck roasts into equal size portions - generally just quarter the roast.  Increases surface area for the rub and bark formation.  I smoke them uncovered, indirect at 250 or so for around 2-3 hours and then foil with some broth.  Continue to cook until fork tender.  Check thenm after an hour -1.5 hours in the foil to see if they are tender.  If they won't pull easily by sticking a fork in them and twisting, cover them back up tight with the foil and cook another 15-20 minutes and check again.  They are done when they are done.  I don't bother to temp them anymore.  Generally takes another 1.5 hours to 2 hours in the foil stage.  Sometimes I'll cut up some red onions, red bell peppers and portabella mushrooms and place them over the meat at the foil stage.  Good eats.
    ·