Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BROWN SUGAR

Does it matter if you use dark or light brown sugar when using to rub down your ribs?

·

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    I usually use Light Brown, but I don't think it matters
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • like the name!!!!! so heart broken after the game. :((
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,084
    Some folks will tell you that different sugars caramelize in different ways, and I'm sure they do. I've never noticed the difference - usually use whatever SWMBO has in the canister. 

For ribs, it has been light brown. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • The difference is color and amount of molasses added back into the sugar.
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    I prefer using turbinado which is also known as raw sugar in my rubs. It has the consistency if Kosher salt so the larger grains don't break down and burn as easily and brown sugar and you still get all the sugar flvor out of it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    gdawgs24 said:
    like the name!!!!! so heart broken after the game. :((
    Like yours too! It's like we have something in common! Yeah the game was a bummer, so close...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,280

td66snrf said:
    I prefer using turbinado which is also known as raw sugar in my rubs. It has the consistency if Kosher salt so the larger grains don't break down and burn as easily and brown sugar and you still get all the sugar flvor out of it.
    I agree turbinado has a good granularity to mix up in a rub.   Most brown sugars can get lumpy and make the rub tough to apply.

Seriously though - you can't really taste mustard after a low n slow.  There's a hell of a lot more subtlety between brown and white sugar than no mustard or mustard.  Sugar caramelizes and completely changes flavor during the cook.  Using boutique sugars sounds sexy when you're describing your rub, but it ain't gonna pass any blind test taste.  Go with what's easier to mix and apply, I say.

·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    It doesn't matter a bit.

Tim
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,659
    If it didn't matter then why do rub recipes call for different things?  I say it because of preference.  Maybe a miniscule difference, but a difference just the same.  My preference is turbinado or raw sugar as well for same reasons described above and also because it's a more natural product, and less processed.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,301
    500 said:
    If it didn't matter then why do rub recipes call for different things?  I say it because of preference.  Maybe a miniscule difference, but a difference just the same.  My preference is turbinado or raw sugar as well for same reasons described above and also because it's a more natural product, and less processed.
    I agree. I think that it is a personal preference based off of people developing rubs and finding "whats best" for them. The differences are "perceived" and probable only noticed when the rub is tasted on it's own. Like Nola said, sugar completely changes with carmelization; similar to the way protein changes with the maillard reaction.
    ·
    Yep.  Preference - it drives everything.  However correct or flawed the reasoning is, we eat with our brains. :D

Brown and turbinado sugars are still almost pure sucrose.  They have more water and minerals than refined sugar, which is extremely pure - 99.98%.

If you want to play around with tastes, try different saccharides.  Mono saccharides glucose, galactose and fructose combine into dissaccharides - sucrose, lactose and maltose.  When these chains get longer, you get stuff like chitin and cellulose.  Probably not good in a rub.  ;)

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,442
    I thought this was a thread about De'Angelo..... =))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    edited January 2013
    ...and I thought it was a about a Rolling Stones song :D ;D

·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    I just like the name turbinado sugar, sounds reved up!

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,210
    This thread got me curious as to what type I had in my cupboard; the bag says "Pure Brown Sugar" and nothing else.  :-/
    It's also solid as a rock, isn't there a way to soften it up?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,084
    SWMBO uses a damp paper towel, in a bowl in the microwave. This is to get the sugar soft enough to measure. 

Found this:
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,210
    Thanks Skiddy!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    I thought it was about a great ZZ Top song!

Anyhow....if it's really about sugar, I use Turbinado.
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,659
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·