Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going on 3 weeks - No Egging - Dieting is Worthless

Going on 3 weeks with no Egg cooks and the immediate future does not look good either.

Too many events happening with kids sports/parties.

And I hate the winter!  Too cold to stand by the grill and cook.

Tried the eat healthier starting 3 weeks ago and did some spatchcock chickens and sealed them in some food saver bags but no urge to open them up - not a leftovers person - tried but can't get over the hump due to reheating the foods always never taste that good.  Did no carb for a week and let me say it was not good.  Got very tired, irritated and to be honest - a PITA to find foods that do not have carbs readily available.  Good thing I did not enter the weight loss competition as I have gained weight. 

Looked at getting a small/mini but no one caries them locally to try weeknight smaller cooks.  Mediums are the smallest they carry.

Come on warm weather so I can cook something good on the Egg again.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    You complain a lot lol
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    edited January 2013
    BYS1981 said:
    You complain a lot lol

:-\"
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    check out the four hour body .. might help in the diet department.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    If you really despise leftovers that much I would make more of an effort to acquire a mini or a small. It is a benefit to the winter and summer cooking a like to have two eggs. And it will help with your diet to eat real food. Just my two cents.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    BYS1981 said:
    You complain a lot lol
    And your point is?   :)

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Will continue looking for a mini.

If I did not like Italian food so much this would be easy.  Can not turn down pasta.

Tried Woking (indoors) and after two nights of Asian style stir fry I am done with that for a long time.  Just not into it that much between the ginger, soy, Housin, etc. 

Trying to add more veggies too and I thought I like peppers but my tastes have changed and I am sick of them now too for a while.

May try a low fat diet instead with portion control.  Again that will last a week so who am I kidding.  The main goal is(was) to drop allot of weight and especially get my blood numbers in check.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Leftover spatchcock makes great chicken salad.  If you want to try to stay with the diet you could always eat it on a bed of greens or make lettuce wraps.  Or, compromise and get some low-carb tortillas and make a wrap. 

IMO, pulled pork is great for leftovers as well.  If you can bear the cold and make a couple of butts you will have some good eats for a while! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq said:

May try a low fat diet instead with portion control.  Again that will last a week so who am I kidding.  The main goal is(was) to drop allot of weight and especially get my blood numbers in check.
    what is the goal now?
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Dieting is easy and I love dieting! I should know! I like to do it so well I start a new one every other day! :))
  • 70 degrees here and I still haven't had anything on the egg in a week! And it doesn't look like its gonna happen for a few more days. It's killing me. I just started the low carb diet, and egged meals are probably the only thing that's gonna keep me sane!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Robnybbq...if it's possible see a nutritionalist. They'll show you how to eat healthy. No gimmicks and no 90 day plans...just how to make wise choices.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    The best way to lose weight is to place the egg as far away from the house as possible so you have to walk
    :-j
    In all seriousness, if you do need to make a lifestyle change due to medical reasons getting as much exercise as possible is best. Even if it is walking 20 minutes a day to start and then upping the time each week.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I started spin classes at the local YMCA and after 3 times a week for 3 months my blood pressure was down to acceptable levels I then went on a 220 mile bike ride. Let it slip after that but am back at the gym again now. I have switched mindsets I'm not loosing weight or getting healthy for me anymore, I want to be able to keep up with my kids and be around to see them grow up.
    Lynnwood WA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq said:

what is the goal now?
    Don't know.  I think I set to high of a goal or an unrealistic goal at first.  Set the weight loss of 70 lbs and to be able to walk a flight of stairs without being out of breath.  Too much to ask at this point.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    I have been changing allot of things just can not break away from allot of the bad foods.  I need to learn to just eat what ever is made and forget about enjoying food or using food as comfort.

When I made the food plans and shopping a few weeks ago we ate better.  I have not had time so we are eating whatever and eating out or takeout. - Worst thing in the world if you are trying to loose weight.  Restaurants are evil.  I do not get full support at home so it makes it easier to go back to eating junk then preparing/cooking healthy meals.  While I love the flavor of foods off of the EGG the amount of time to prepare/cook a meal on it is just too long for weeknight and weekend cooks.  I need to set aside at least a few hours to use it and just have not had the time.

We did reheat some frozen spatchcock chicken last night as we have not gone food shopping.  I had it sealed in a food saver bag.  We reheated the chicken in the food saver bad in boiling water.  The chicken still tasted like reheated frozen food and dried out. No benefit of using the foodsaver over a zip lock bag,  It needed some sauce and that would have defeated the point of eating chicken (healthy).

Garnerville, NY
  • I really feel for ya.  No support from home will make this extremely difficult, but it still can be done.  While it's great to have a long term goal, you have to make short term goals also.  For example, make a goal of losing 1 lb a week for the next four weeks while walking for 10 minutes a day.  Once you accoplish these set the bar a little higher say 1.5 lbs and 20 minutes.  Keep at it.  Keep us updated.  If you don't find the support at home, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that will give you what support we can in this forum.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Drink lots of water....I mean 18 restroom trips a day kind of water drinking...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Drink lots of water....I mean 18 restroom trips a day kind of water drinking...
    Well, I guess that's one way to get those 10,000 steps a day in! ;)
  • robnybbq
    Drink lots of water....I mean 18 restroom trips a day kind of water drinking...
    Well, I guess that's one way to get those 10,000 steps a day in! ;)
    Exactly - I think that is the reason they tell you to drink all that water.  more trips to the bathroom.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    shivering in front of an egg while grilling burns 400 calories an hour, add that to 18 restroom trips and your doing pretty good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The past week or so has been 15 degrees F for a high here in Michigan, and I have egged every day. If you are a dedicated cook, and have an egg, there is no excuse.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Turn your left overs into a new meal. Take the spatchcock and make some chicken burritos

• robnybbq
    The past week or so has been 15 degrees F for a high here in Michigan, and I have egged every day. If you are a dedicated cook, and have an egg, there is no excuse.
    NUTS!  :)

I hate the cold and need to move south soon.

Just not setup for cooking outdoors in the winter.  Its allot of work to use the Egg and add the cold - its not happening. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Lost 70 pounds and am at my goal weight of 175 though it took 4 years. Slow and steady wins the race. You can't lose that kind of weight just by diet, you have to exercise too. Aerobic, 30-45 minutes a day or 5 times a week minimum. That will accelerate your metabolism to the point where the weight starts coming off regardless of what you eat, but working hard on the diet will make it go faster. Your body will plateau at certain weights sometimes for weeks before losing again. Just an extra push in the exercise or diet department helps to get over that hump. 

And I still egg at least once or twice a week, usually chicken or lean steak, along with some healthy vegetables like corn, asparagus or sweet potatoes. I save the good stuff like brisket or ribs for birthday parties a few times a year.

But I did have a supportive spouse who lost 75 pounds of her own. Best of luck, you can do it.
  • esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    I personally oppose participating in anything that openly professes death in its name. Diet is nothing more than Die with a t added just for looks.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Try to find a copy of the old book, The Robert Atkins Diet Revolution. A lot of newer publications use his name, but they are mostly trying to sell you stuff. The old book just explains how to lose weight eating real food.

You will find plenty of stuff you can cook on the Egg. One time I was on the Atkins Diet for about three years and lost 50 lbs. Well, I lost most of it in the first six months, then I kept it off as long as I stayed on the diet.

Hmmmm. I guess I need to go back on it, myself.

Tim
  • robnybbq
    I gave up on any named diet plan/fad. It's simple math that ha to work. Clean calories in = the total amount burned by living and possible exercise is the real formula. If there is excess then there is weight gain - I here is less then there will be weightloss.

I am surrounded by a lot of obstacles and any plan we have tried lasts only a week at most as we get busy and en up eating out at a restaurant/takeout. At work they buy lunch for us and who knows what is really in the meals they are making? Preparing meals in advance has not worked out as I can not stand leftovers. Most healthy foods I do not like. Limited in vegetables and I hate chicken.

I do not want to walk around all day hungy as that will just get me more aggregated to not eat right. Exercise is another disaster. Only time is I the middle if the night which is when I should be sleeping. Plus I have a foot issue that is killing me that I am trying to be figured out.

Enough ranting for now.

Garnerville, NY