Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi-que Meat Probe

Options
I did a sirloin tip roast last night that didn't happen :-) . Due to the fact that I am generally lazy and did not want to stand around in the cold watching smoke rise out of the egg, I set it up with my digi-que 2 and set the pit to 275* and the meat finish temp to 140* (I know, a lot of you would think that's burn't but it is not. There is still some pink in the center). A couple of hours later, the alarm is going off and it tells me that my roast is done. Since getting my brand new (well, open box) discounted fantastic thermapen (thanks again Mighty_Quinn ) I compared the probe against the thermapen. The probe registered 6* hotter than the thermapen which explains why a lot of my cooks seemed to be undercooked to swmbo and myself. 5* I.T. does make a difference.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    I have had some differences in my DigiQ and Thermopen readings.  I sent the DigQ in and they said is is perfect.  Have not done a cook since getting it back yet. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    You can test your digiq (and thermapen) in a pot of boiling water.  The thermopen reads at the tip so if you are not measuring at the exact same place there may be some difference just from the depth you push in the thermapen.  The digiq food probe should be as close as possible to the center of the object.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI