Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unbelievable Heat Retention. (pics)

Options

Several of my recent butt cooks have taken forever, so I started my most recent 8lbs butt ridiculously early.  As luck would have it, it finished up well ahead of schedule.  I pulled out the foil, cooler, and beach towels, but added two fire bricks that sat on a 500 degree BGE for 15 minutes.  7 hours and 42 minutes later I was absolutely shocked to find the internal temp was at 140 degrees.  Just wanted to share the use of the firebricks to anyone who was looking for a solution for extended heat retention.  My cousin just cooked two 8lbs butts that went 19 hours.  I'm learning there can be a tremendous amount of variation in cook times with butts.   

imageimageimageimage

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Cool tip- thanks for sharing!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    And the reason you have not said anything sooner??????????? What a good idea.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice! That reminds me of the brick that came in my mom's Pampered Chef bread basket to keep the rolls warm. You stuck it in the oven while the rolls backed off then wrapped the brick in a towel.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Great idea.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice! That reminds me of the brick that came in my mom's Pampered Chef bread basket to keep the rolls warm. You stuck it in the oven while the rolls backed off then wrapped the brick in a towel.
    Or the one's my Grandma used to run over the bed sheets to warm the bed......

Great idea for an extended "storage"...... or hold. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    Reminds me of sticking a rock in the fire before bedtime on a cold night camping.    
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Stupid question: Did you pull the butts from the Egg early, do the bricks at 500 degrees pose any risk of over cooking the butts any further?

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited January 2013
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Stupid question: Did you pull the butts from the Egg early, do the bricks at 500 degrees pose any risk of over cooking the butts any further?

The way I read that is that the butts were "done" far earlier than he had anticipated so he used the foil,wrap and pack method of holding until time to serve with the addition of the heated firebricks. 7 hours and 42 later the internal temperature was STILL at 140°.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Parallel said:
    YEMTrey said:

The way I read that is that the butts were "done" far earlier than he had anticipated so he used the foil,wrap and pack method of holding until time to serve with the addition of the heated firebricks. 7 hours and 42 later the internal temperature was STILL at 140°.

You are 100% correct. Took the butts off around 196. Wrapped and placed in a cooler. Threw the bricks on and opened the egg up. Make sure you place the hot bricks on a towel at the bottom of your cooler. Those bricks will melt the plastic liner otherwise.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Slick idea   :)>-
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Your cousin sounds like an awesome guy.
    Tacos look great. That's on my list.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Although pricy, a Yeti cooler has amazing heat retention. I held 2 bone-in FTC butts in my Yeti for 8 hours and they were 160 I think. 

I suppose you could use bottles of boiled water in the cooler as well to help keep the temp up.