Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

End of rack of pork season?

I was in my local Costco this morning and they only had 4 cryo'd racks of pork (one with a sell-by date of tomorrow).  They had a few more that had been opened, laced up, seasoned, and placed oven ready in a foil pan.  I took home a cryo'd 6.24lb one.  I hope this isn't the end.  I do have one frozen "for later".

Here it is, bottom view, dried off out of the cryo:

Here it is again, with the little bit of membrane that was there removed:

Top view...with the outer layer scored...need to sharpen the boning knife...it was having a hard time doing the job.

I'd never bothered with this on a ROP before, but I decided to see what I was missing with the lacing:

Laced up side view...you can see the lacing compresses the rack horizontally, making it a little more round from this view:

Here it is, fully prepped and wrapped up to go back in the fridge till starting time:

And after 2 hours indirect at mostly 350ish:

I covered the glass dish it was in with foil while I got the rest of dinner ready (mashed potatoes and steamed string beans).  I'd pulled it off the egg at 147F IT, and 20 minutes later when I was about to slice it, it had reached 159F.  It may look burnt on the outside, but it's not.  I probably could have pulled it a few degrees earlier, but I had to run out on an errand mid way through the cook, and it finished a little quicker than I'd expected.

Comments