Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Reverse sear advice needed....quick

Last minute decision to try this. Sorry no time to search. Can I get some temps to start with and where I need to finish up?? Couple of NY strips going on... Thanks!!!
·

Comments

• r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    Wow sorry no one answered.  Off the cuff I would say around 600 degrees close to the coals as possible for 30 secs or so each side to get your sear.  Then drop down to 350 and finish to your doneness.

Probably too late but that is how I would do it.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    sorry i just saw this r270ba that is trex.  reverse sear i run 250-300 indirect until about 10 below target temp.  pull plate setter open vents sear until about 5 below target temp usually about 60-90 seconds a side 
    ·
    U_tarded said:
    sorry i just saw this r270ba that is trex.  reverse sear i run 250-300 indirect until about 10 below target temp.  pull plate setter open vents sear until about 5 below target temp usually about 60-90 seconds a side 
    Damn my bad :))...you are perfectly correct!  Glad I didn't respond sooner.
    Anderson, SC

·
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    Thanks for the input. I went 400 for a few then went 600+ for about 3 min. Wife was happy.
    ·
    Lowflyer said:
    Thanks for the input. I went 400 for a few then went 600+ for about 3 min. Wife was happy.
    And you have a winner if the wife is happy!  I did two inch and half thick ribeyes tonight at about 600 for 4 mins a side and I just don't think it gets any better (or easier) than that.  You do get a little gray on the edges but it is quick and good.
    Anderson, SC

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,145
    If SWMBO is happy, you "done" good!
    That's all that counts. 
    Here is a NY strip, took 30 minutes raised indirect at 225, a 5 minute rest then about 60 seconds aside. I pulled this a little late internal already at 130, had to rescue the 4 year old grandson from the flower bed in his electric powered Gator. 

IMGP2597.jpg 392.1K
    IMGP2603.jpg 387.8K
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    Wife is happy?

Winner, winner, steak dinner!
    ·
  • Happy wife, happy life! And as we know, that's what counts!
    ·
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    Thanks again for the input, The wife was happy.
    ·