Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lackluster steaks and broken rain cap from cover

Options
The Fresh Market sells 10 oz Hereford NY Strips on Saturdays for $6 each, so I picked up two yesterday. I was looking for an excuse to use my new Thermapen! Sprinkled them with kosher salt and pepper just before putting them on the egg at 750° for 90 secs/side. Took them off and let them rest for about 15 mins while the Egg cooled down to 400°. Put them back on for about 5-6 mins/side and pulled them right at 130° IT. I covered them loosely with foil for about 5 mins before eating. I was really proud of how they looked inside and out! But after the first couple of bites, my wife and I both agreed that they weren't very flavorful at all. They seemed kind of dry and tasteless.

I'm trying to figure if I did something wrong or if they weren't just very flavorful steaks. At the store, they were labeled as "lean" steaks. They didn't have very much marbling. Could that be the reason?

Also, I ran out of time and wasn't able to get the steaks up to room temperature before putting them on. Does this make a huge difference?

Just trying to see how I can learn from the experience. It seems that my steaks are kind of hit-or-miss right now.

Lastly, I have the new vinyl cover for my Egg (with the stitched logo). As I was lifting it off by the handle on the top, it picked up my rain cap with it and it came crashing down to the pavement and broke to pieces! Has anyone else had this problem? How much are replacement rain caps?

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    I have been very careful and have only come close to pulling the cap off with the cover. Did you add any smoking wood before you put the steaks back on the Egg? I've been awfully partial to the Jack Daniels Oak chips, about a cups worth, a few minutes before I put the steaks back on.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your steaks. Probably just the meat. Marbling definitely helps. As for the cap, that sucks. I have left over gasket around my top of egg. Ceramic cap and daisy wheel are snug and require a little effort to get off. A guest opened my egg and nearly dropped the cap so on the gasket went and no more issues.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Most probably the steaks since you said they were marked lean with little marbling.  IMHO a good steak needs only salt and pepper.  I usually use Kosher course grain 30 minute before, then wipe of excess salt and moisture just before adding to the grill.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They look really lean in the cut pic. Perfectly cooked though. Stuff happens.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Almost had to be the steaks were just too lean.  I also find it difficult to do a high heat sear on any steak I get that is below 12 ozs but that's just because of where I get my meat. Actually prefer a 1 lb steak or larger for anything above 500 degrees, but that's just me. Those steaks look plenty thick in the pics for a nice sear, just didn't have fat for flavor.  I would guess if you want to use said meat again slice it thin and do a stir fry.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EggerInCharlotte
    Options
    @dawsonhull - have had the exact same problem with the cap getting hung-up in the cover when I'm pulling it off.  Ever since the time the cap juuuust hung-on when I lifted off the cover, I've been extra, extra careful about keeping one hand on the cap and one hand on the cover. 

That stinks that yours broke...file that under the category "hard lessons learned."
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    They look great, it could just be the cut of beef. Buy from a different source and give it another go
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Chubbs said put some gasket around my top of egg and it works great.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I agree its probably the cow/meat source.  one thing i like to do on cheaper (sirloin, select ribeye, strip etc) cuts is baste with an herbed compound butter. I do this immediately after the sear and then about every 2 minutes during the roast until desired temp is reached.  its a little more labor intensive but the extra fat/herbs help build layers of flavor.  picked this up from charred and scruffed by adam perry lang. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great looking cook, too bad the taste did not match the presentation. Perfectly cooked. 
    Lately, I've found NY strip seems to be a tad drier and less flavorful. I just figured my taste buds were getting tired (old). 
    I've started to hit them with a salt in the fridge for an hour before the cook, then with a good rub, Penzey's Chicago Steak. At least they have some flavor. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lobsterbake
    Options
    New cap about $30
  • dawsonhull
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I really wanted to blame the meat, so this makes me feel better! I usually get ribeyes but thought this was too good of a deal to pass up.

Haven't needed to replace my gasket yet but when I do, I'll put some around the top of the Egg. Great idea!

@brianwdmn I didn't use any wood but maybe it would've helped for these steaks. I usually just use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

What's the typical amount of salt you guys put on? A generous amount or just a few sprinkles? The "Perfect Steak" recipe on the BGE cookbook calls for 1/4 cup for two steaks. That seems insane to me!