Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking cheese

Options

Has anyone tried cold smoking cheese without a second egg? I have heard of a method using a wood burner, and a large soup can.

I would appreciate any advice!

BOOMER!

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    go to here or order an a-maz-n smoker (my preferred method)
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Never used the a-maze-n smoker, but it seems to be the preferred cold smoking device of the forum. I use two eggs and it is easy enough, but I'm tempted to get one. Price is right to justify getting to try...
  • ptmurphy
    Options
    I cold smoke cheese and salmon about as easy and cheap as you can get, with great results. Here is a thread I posted about it a few weeks ago... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146974/cold-smoked-some-cheese
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Never used the a-maze-n smoker, but it seems to be the preferred cold smoking device of the forum. I use two eggs and it is easy enough, but I'm tempted to get one. Price is right to justify getting to try...
    So easy to use.  Clean out the egg, open vents, light it up per instruction. load up egg as you see fit and walk away.  and the price was a big plus for me, soldering irons, vents, foil tape, just more junk for me to have around the house.
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options

I used the Amazen Smoker yesterday for the first time and am hoping for good results.  I won't know for a few weeks while I let the cheese mellow in the fridge.  The Amazen did pretty good, although it did go out at one point during the smoke.  I'm not sure it went wrong, perhaps the pellets weren't packed enough or not enough air got into the egg.  I re-lit and finished off the smoke with no problem.

If you are looking at getting the Amazen Smoker, take a look at package #3.  Lots of types of pellets included and a torch.  I also added apple wood to my order because it seems that is my favorite wood for smoking.