Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sous vide hmmmmm???

I am having such a hard time trying to understand this little hot tub thing. When the tub arrived I started reading and it scared the daylights out of me with all the talk about salmonella and pasteurizing. I read my books and searched the Internet for some common ground as to temperature and time. I did some turkey tenders according to a recipe for turkey breast in the Modernist Cuisine at home. 135 for 2 1/2 hours. That didn't work. Bagged it back up and cooked it at 138 for another 2 hours. Very good. I loved it but MDSH wouldn't touch it - it was pink which is what the book said it would be. How do I know the starting temperature for different cuts of meat and still be sure I'm not growing funny things?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
·

Comments

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122

You can get a hard copy of this book from Amazon, here's the online version.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Basic_Technique

Another book I have from Amazon is Beginning Sous Vide by Jason Logsdon, both have recipes, but also general cooking time and temp. tables. I do boneless skinless breasts @ 147 for 2 hours then sear and they are great.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,820
    My sous vide supreme came with a book that says lowest safe temp and lowest time and then tells you max time also. There are also plenty of books about sous vide. 138 seems low to me. I haven't done turkey but chicken it says 146 for minimum 1 hour. I usually do 146 for just under 2 hours for chicken breasts then sear/smoke on the egg.
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    Billyray,  I will check out the books.  Thanks.

Lit, I found the SVsupreme Cooking table tonight.  I think it has the most reasonable cooking times and temps. I thought the turkey tempt was a little too low also but the book said that turkey breast cooks to a lower temp that chicken.  Thanks.
    ;;)  
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,820
    There was a sous vide scrambled egg recipe I posted on here a couple months back that is the best eggs I have ever had and its simple. Eggs are another thing the sous vide does well.
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    Love eggs.  I'll look for it. ;;)
    ·