Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribeye Steak Diane...lots of pix

My wife and I vacationed to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon this past week.  We toured the Hoover Dam, did a VERY small amount of gambling (I hate gambling...I'm too cheap and conservative for that... ;) ), saw a couple of shows, drove out to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and also took a helicopter tour through the canyon.  We had an absolute blast!!!  But, I'm glad to be back home now.  The time change messed with my head, we missed our dogs, and I missed Big Green Egging of course.  :)  Here is a shot of the Grand Canyon that I took while on the helicopter (I know the first pic is Off Topic, but it's cool so I thought I'd share it anyway):

To get back On Topic, I missed using the Big Green Egg this week...so tonight, I couldn't wait to fire it up.  My wife wanted Ribeyes, so I thought I'd shake things up a bit and make Steak Diane using Ribeye Steaks.  I looked up Emeril Lagasse's recipe and went with that for the most part. 

I did give the steaks a quick sear outside of the CI skillet at first, which was different than the recipe called for.  Then I took them off and placed them aside.  I like a good sear, but the recipe called for cooking the sauce at only a medium high temp, so after searing and removing the steaks, I cranked the heat down for a couple minutes, then added the CI skillet.

First, butter is melted and the Shallots and Garlic get happy...  Then the Mushrooms are added in.  After they go for a couple minutes, the Brandy is added.  :) 

Had to be careful and tilt the CI skillet away so I wouldn't get bit by the ignited Brandy.  :)

Then everything else gets tossed in to thicken.  The steaks get tossed in again toward the end to finish cooking.

Served up with a Loaded Baked Potato.

The flavor of the sauce was unbelievable.  I will definitely make it again.  Already thinking about how I will incorporate it into other things, like burgers.  ;) 

2014 Co-Wing King
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 2,894
    That there's good eats!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,909
    Looks great!! Different is good!

I've been wanting to do scenic stuff when I visit Vegas, but poker typically has other plans for me. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·
  • Man.....that looks good!  I'm sitting in a motel right now with Chinese being the only option, wish I was dining with you.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,437
    As usual, solid cook Dyal. Great pics too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,245
    dang Dyal, looking good.  will have to give this one a spin for sure.
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Nice cook! Great to see an actual classic recipe here that utilizes a sauce other than barbecue sauce. Well done!
    ·
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    Where did you stay in Vegas?
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,198
    Thx, y'all. It was a great recipe. JW, we stayed at the Mandalay Bay.
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,449
    Those steaks look fabulous!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 912
    edited January 2013
    Out-standing Dyal!!

I'm curious... How did you get some of the "flaming" pix? They can't be flash, did you have a tripod?
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Fantastic cook, bookmarked for a future cook! Thanks!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,826
    edited January 2013
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thx, y'all. It was a great recipe. JW, we stayed at the Mandalay Bay.

Outstanding food. We were at "tHE Hotel" in Sept. Have they closed it down now?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 741
    Great looking cook. Headed to Vegas for the big game and the Hoover Dam. I have a feeling the blackjack table will get to know me very well at the Venitian.
    ·
    Thanks guys!

Jim, my wife took the flame pix with the flash off, while I was handling the skillet. We always take a bunch of pix and hope there are one or two good ones. :) Wish I knew more about photography, as that is something I enjoy too.

Mickey, I think it's still open. The lights appeared on anyway. :) The drive to the South Rim was very scenic. It was about a 4 hour drive, but worth every minute!

2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 232
    Dyal, what did you use for the "1/4 cup reduced veal stock"?
    That really looks good.
    OKC area  XL - Medium
    ·
    Logger said:

Dyal, what did you use for the "1/4 cup reduced veal stock"?
    That really looks good.

Thanks! I didn't make the homemade veal stock... Just used 1/4 cup beef stock instead. Figured it was close enough. ;)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Holy dang, that looks awesome!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 359
    Thanks for raising the bar Dyal! And thanks for sharing.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    NIcely done, Sir!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519

Alright, fillet medallions aquired. Needed some brandy and did not realize yesterday that my cave had no supply of brandy. :(

Remedial measures have been underway.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,826

Aviator said:

Alright, fillet medallions aquired. Needed some brandy and did not realize yesterday that my cave had no supply of brandy. :(

You got me thinking. Have Brandy now to cook with, but the last Brandy to drink was Cherry Brandy back in the drive-in days :x
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,437
    Mickey said:

Aviator said:

You got me thinking. Have Brandy now to cook with, but the last Brandy to drink was Cherry Brandy back in the drive-in days :x
    Last time I drank Brandy was in a deer stand with a girl named.... Brandy... and no, we were not hunting. True story.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,556
    That looks too good time to try something new. Thanks for sharing.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·