Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Older Hobart Slicer, need some help

2»

Comments

• I will say from personal experience that an attached blade sharpener is not necessary.  The older blades are made from very good steel and they keep their edges for a long time.  You only need to touch them up occasionally.  You can use a fine stone and oil manually just to knock off any burrs.  If it is for home use you will never slice enough stuff to need sharpening very often.  In our restaurants we maybe touched up our blades 3-4 times a year at the most and they were used extensively.  We had Hobart and Globe slicers.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 411
    Cabela's sells a food grade silicone in a spray can. I have found this to be the best lubricant for slicers. No not pull a rookie move and use Pam as some guys around the firehouse have done. Next time you try to use it, the slide will be locked up like Fort Knox.
  • BullibeBullibe Posts: 130
    A country store in my home town had one and sharpened it with a fine stone and oil, just as @SamFerrise said.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2013

@SamFerrise and @Bullibe,  getting the two blades professionally sharpened and may touch them up safely without the guard using Japanese chosera wetstones from the Apex. 

@Firemanyz, thanks for the tip.  Will look into Cabela's as well.  The school this came out of gunked it up with the Pam you mentioned.  Guy I bought it from removed most of it, slides real smooth.  Depth knob is decent and will probably improve when I break it down, degrease, and lubricate.  The worm screw and gears underneath are caked with Pam.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "The most important ingredient in cooking is restraint."--Chris Bianco

• FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 411
    Good luck. Removing the Pam is a pain. Oven cleaner works well but make sure you use some good gloves as that stuff is very caustic.
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,474
    Thanks.  Figured if I could remove cosmoline from a WWII Russian Mosin Nagant battle rifle, this will be a walk-in-the-park.  :))
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "The most important ingredient in cooking is restraint."--Chris Bianco