Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hot Egg, Cold Plate Setter - bad idea?

I'd like to grill some chicken breast direct on the egg and then do some pizza later while the egg is still hot.  Do I run the risk of cracking the plate setter if I place it over an already hot fire?
·

Comments

• Nope.

You'll probably be around 350 for the chicken. Putting the PS on after the chicken comes off won't be a problem.

BOOMER!
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,717
    Agree.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,916
    I'd say as long as you aren't in a really cold part of the country you should be just fine.  And I mean 15 degrees and below cold

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • I put a cold plate setter on when my egg was around 400 and the outside temp. Was around 0 and had no problems. No garuntees but I think it's safe.
    ·
  • Worked fine- plate setter is still in one piece. Thanks all....
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 454
    i just used my egg tonite for pizza and wings!did the wings first round300-325 then put the plate setter in cold(outside temp was -25C!)and i didnt have a problem except the temp dropped quick,just waited for a few minutes.everything was great! :-bd
    ·
  • Doesn't get cold at all in Mississippi but I swap mine in and out all the time no problems this far.

XLBGE 
    ·