Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

US Foods Account?

Anyone thought of having their on US Food or other food distributor account?  Thoughts, experiences?  I buy most of my meats from Costco but they do not carry everything I want (pork belly for example).
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Most wholesalers have healthy minimum order sizes along with having to order case lots of items. Also not sure how your neighbors feel a bout an 18 wheeler rolling up to your front door. Restaurant Depot may be a better option no minimums & can buy individual primals not case lots. 
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    I have a us foods account with my restaurant.  The selection and availability of items the grocery store doesnt carry is excellent. But, like @beteez said, you have to buy a lot more at a time than you would need for household use. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    @beteez i was planning on having the food delivered to my business.  We have 5 loading docks and it would be an easy delivery.  The sales rep told me that if the order wasn't a minimum for delivery, then he would just have it dropped off at one of the restaurants we eat at downtown (2 miles away from where I work).  He also told me that on items that are popular (beef tenderloin, ribeye, chicken, shrimp, etc.) that he would break cartons for me.  Pork Belly on the other hand, as an example, he could not break the carton bc it isn't nearly as popular.

I wish I had a Restaurant Depot close by but we do not.  2 hours away is the  closest. 

@shucker does any of what I said above sound legit?  This is what the US Foods rep told me.
    Anderson, SC

• beteez
    Better hope you can keep the rep most are not so user friendly. My wife has a custom cake business and the minimums make it hard for her to just order the butter, eggs & sour cream she regularly uses. Makes it easier to travel an hour to Jax once a month to Restaurant Depot. Plus Depot has the killer deal on lump. 
  • r270ba
    Interesting. Here is the email he just sent me. Names have not been included to protect the innocent :))

Here's the forms I need filled out by you. Great talking to you, I'll be happy to bring another "chef hobbyist" under the US Foods umbrella. Talk to you Monday. If you have any questions don't hesitate to shoot me a line.

He seems to be all about it. I guess we will see. Pork belly was what got me to setup a uS Foods account. No one in my area has it (well NY Butcher Shop does for $7.99/lbs). Cases on pork belly are 16 lbs so that isn't too much. I have a big family and when we visit once a month it is easy 4 lbs of bacon eaten on a weekend.

I will try it out and keep my fingers crossed.
    Anderson, SC

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    16 pounds of pork belly is nothing. I buy that about every other month. The. Last whole belly I bought (rhind on) was 14.5 still yielded around 11 pounds of cured bacon. I would do it just for that
  • So it sounds like all you folks have a reseller's permit or business license or tax-exempt certificate.  Is there a "restaurant depot" for folks, like me, that do not but are still looking for the variety of meat and cuts, etc. and the "wholesale" prices (like Sam's or BJ's or Costco)?
  • beteez
    believe restaurant depot will  give day passes to KC barbecue society members.
  • r270ba
    My guy is coming over on Monday to visit with me.  I will let you know how it goes...
    Anderson, SC

• Restraunt depot will also if I'm not mistaken give a membership to non-profits such as churches, Boy Scouts, ect ect... So you could get involved with those and possibly get one that way Or you could do like me and convince someone you know who owns a buisness they need to go there and get them to get you a card
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    beteez said:
    believe restaurant depot will  give day passes to KC barbecue society members.
    Yep, its true.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • beteez
    Have you done an order yet?
  • r270ba
    @beteez sorry just saw this. Yes just placed my first order two weeks ago. Ribeye chicken mahi and pork belly. Been VERY pleased so far!
    Anderson, SC

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    US foods just opened up a new concept store last week. The Oklahoma one is the 2nd in the country and is open on weekends and to the public. I will check it out in the next week or two. It is for last minute things restaurants run out of and test to see if they want to start selling to the public. Which will be nice since we don't have Costco or restaurant depot, just SAMs club.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    edited March 2013
    r270ba the publix on clemson blvd carries pork bellies. in fact steve one of the meat guys said he would split the cost with him if he could have half of what i cook. i drive to charlotte every thursday and rd is only 4 miles out of my way. if you need something from there let me know i would be happy to pick something up for you..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    My father works for US Foods in OKC.  WIll need to phone him tonight and see what is happening?

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• r270ba
    @bente thanks a bunch.  

My US Foods rep actually just drops the stuff off to me since my orders are not big enough to meet the minimums for truck deliveries.  I think he is just a nice guy.  I have actually ran it through my companies Fed Tax ID.  I still pay sales tax because I am not a food reseller.  I have a Costco but it is 45 mins away and on a SUPER BUSY highway, so this fits the bill pretty good for me.  Not to mention that I can get Smithfield pork belly for under $2/lbs and Compart Duroc for under $4/lbs (I chose the Duroc product).

I have a bunch of folks that want to split the meat with me too so that makes meeting the minimum qtys pretty easy to do.
    Anderson, SC

• Solson005
    @Scott805 Here is the news article it was in. Watch the video, it has potential to be a good option around here. http://newsok.com/a/q/3759668
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    I talked to my Dad last night about the place and he said it was pretty amazing.  Anyone can go there and you can even buy individual meat items.  Said it was the cleanest place in town.  Said they are stocking about 4,000 items right now.  Hope they build one in Dallas!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Solson005
    @Scott805 yeah it looks awesome. I will probably go check it out saturday since it is supposed to rain buckets and I won't be doing a long cook on the egg. 
  • Solson005
    Just FYI @Scott805 that chefs store is amazing! They have everything and then some and the prices aren't too bad either. I went on the second Saturday they were open and I wasn't the only one with that idea. Once the weather is nice for backyard parties many of my egg meals will be purchased there.
  • r270ba
    @Chubbs I have heard there is one coming in early 2014 to Columbia.
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    I can say that I have been 100% pleased with US Foods meat quality.  Chicken, Ribeye, Beef Tenderloin, and Mahi (fresh not frozen) have all been WONDERFUL!
    Anderson, SC

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    r270ba said:

@Chubbs I have heard there is one coming in early 2014 to Columbia.

Stop it! We are jut getting way to high class in Columbia lately--- whole Foods, trader joes, and US Foods. Hoorah.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

r270ba said:
    @bente thanks a bunch.  

My US Foods rep actually just drops the stuff off to me since my orders are not big enough to meet the minimums for truck deliveries.  I think he is just a nice guy.  I have actually ran it through my companies Fed Tax ID.  I still pay sales tax because I am not a food reseller.  I have a Costco but it is 45 mins away and on a SUPER BUSY highway, so this fits the bill pretty good for me.  Not to mention that I can get Smithfield pork belly for under $2/lbs and Compart Duroc for under $4/lbs (I chose the Duroc product).

I have a bunch of folks that want to split the meat with me too so that makes meeting the minimum qtys pretty easy to do.
    Duroc is a very good breed
    @nolaegghead...thanks.  I figured I wasn't making my own bacon to save money so I went with the better of the products.
    Anderson, SC