Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st shoulder...a little different.

erblove
erblove Posts: 97
4.33lbs half shoulder. Marinated in orange juice, grapefruit jucie, vinegar, garlic, onion, salt, butter, and parsley. ~ a little something I saw at Publix.

Egg steady at about 250. Soaked apple and cherry wood. Not sure what the outside will do (bark if any) but different from what I've normally done.

Fingers crossed for something edible.
Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
I love to eat...sue me!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Interesting combo. Can't wait to follow this one. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Between BGE magic and a slow smoked pork cook it will turn out great-probably a more latin cuisine flavor but great none-the-less.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Looking good bud. Post some finished pictures!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @erblove, sounds very good, let us know how it turns out and post a pic or two if you can.

I noticed you said you soaked your apple and cherry wood. One of the early tips I learned on this forum was that soaking i probably unnecessary. Basically 'Water at high temp produces steam while wood at high temp produces smoke'. In general it's preferable to expose your cook to delicious smoke rather than bark softening steam. Give it a try some time and see what you think of the results, one fewer step in the total process.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • erblove
    Thanks Badger...noted that info. Keep them coming. 
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • erblove
    Nice flavor...couple of after pics
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • Nicely done and I hope it was delicious as it looked! As for the soaking, it's not necessary at all, in fact it's counterproductive! You want a nice thin blue smoke coming out of the daisy wheel. Your meat should be cold and wet with water when you put it on. Cold, wet meat literally sucks up smoke! Check out amazingribs.com for a cross reference on the cold and wet. Here's to many more successful and enjoyable cooks!