Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Nubie's first cook on LBGE

First cooke tonite: NY Strips and roasted broccoli. Had to keep it 350 or below, but I am very impressed with the results.
·

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,330
    Welcome.

Why did you have to keep it 350 or below?  The sweet spot, for me, on most cooks is 400 and I do steaks hotter.  Some folks here do them a lot hotter.

If is was for the broccoli you can cook hotter but shorter, or devise an indirect rig.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,149
    Congrats and Welcome!  
    You need to post pics, or we shall taunt you!  
    >:)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • munchmunch Posts: 7
    BGE says first two cooks need to be at 350 or below to cure the gasket!
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,330
    Ah, forgot that one
    :\">

Not to worry though, you won't have a gasket for long.

Actually my next day off I am scraping the final dregs of the gaskets on my Eggs off, and realigning the domes.  Haven't had a functional gasket since last February.

Again, welcome aboard, and get a camera!
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
    Next cook will include pics- my bad! I think I will try a brisket. Any ideas??
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,236
    Welcome to the cult and the degree of Kool-Aid consumption is a personal choice.  Just cook whatever you fancy and when in doubt inquire here-the answers you get will likely run the gamut of choices-but all good!
    Louisville
    ·
    Munch is back. I am now 5 cooks into my LBGE. Tonight I prepared marinated flat iron steak with a western rub. My family is very impressed with my egg prowess even though I am still winging it!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,280
    Brisket can be a tough cook. Maybe ribs,, tenderloin, chicken....welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,236
    @munch-winging it is quite good with the BGE-cazzy, necessaryindulgence and others have tremendous wing expertise...you just gotta let winging it go :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • henapple said:
    Brisket can be a tough cook. Maybe ribs,, tenderloin, chicken....welcome
    Really?  I find it to be one of the easiest.  Low temp and see you later for 15 hours.  Pretty hard to mess that up, no?
    XLBGE- Anchorage, AK
    ·
    How low and how long?? I'd like to try some sort of large brisket. 
    ·
  • munch said:
    How low and how long?? I'd like to try some sort of large brisket. 
    I go anywhere from 225-250 depending on what kind of time you have.  Also, depending on the size of your meat (doh), I'd say maybe 1.5-2 hours per pound.  I'm doing a 14# brisket next weekend and will probably put it on about 6 or 7 the night before the game (in alaska, the game starts at 2) at about 235.  I'll check it's temp in the morning and maybe go up to 250 but it'll be done by noon at the latest but you can pull it at around 200º.  Sometimes I kick up the temp for a bit when I hit the stall to finish it out
    XLBGE- Anchorage, AK
    ·
    sweet! thanks for the advice....
    ·