Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quail soup???

it's 22 degrees and sleeting. i'm thinking about making quail and rice soup with the left over quail i had from last week's hunt. has anyone ever tried this? basically i am becoming stir crazy and want to cook something all day tomorrow.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Condolences on the 22 degrees. Recently went thru where daytime highs ranged between 9 & 17.  Hope you have had some sun.

I've only cooked quail 2 times. Tasty little farmed birds. How many do you have?

The best soup will be from birds that were oven browned, then simmered till all the meat falls off. By that point, the meat won't have much flavor, but the broth will, and the meat will be slurpy soft. Pick the meat off.

Cook the rice in plain water till just tender. Then dump into the broth. Add some sliced carrots, onions, a few herbs, and simmer till the carrots are almost tender. Add the quail meat. Add S&P and eat.

Have fun. Few things better on a cold winter day that making soup.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    He can roast the birds and cool as well. Then brown the bones and some mirepoix til they are dark brown. Use that for the stock, then strain and do as you say with the rice and veg. Best way to get full flavour out of the little guys and the meat won't be mushy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    He can roast the birds and cool as well. Then brown the bones and some mirepoix til they are dark brown. Use that for the stock, then strain and do as you say with the rice and veg. Best way to get full flavour out of the little guys and the meat won't be mushy.
    Good idea. Should be able to pull a good bit of meat off before putting the carcass into the stock pot.
  • 22 and sleeting? I would go get some ducks to go with that quail, last weekend here, not sure what I am going to do with myself :((

My wife always says she is sick of me not being around during hunting season, by the first weekend in Feb. she is wondering when the fishing season opens :D
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • that's funny!! I've got a new puppy. one year old in feb. we've had a nice season. yep it's always sad to see the season come to an end. just like college football season thanks for all the suggestions. not sure what i'm going to do tomorrow.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @TarHeelBBQ, are these Bob Whites?

I've only had farm raised BWs, but they seem to be a little smaller than the wild quail we get out in CA. For CA valley and mountain quail I've always liked fileting off the breast meat and making a brown gravy from legs, wings, bones, etc. You can gently pound the breast flat and thin, dredge in seasoned flour then fry them hot and fast in a CI skillet. Serve over mashed potatoes with the quail gravy and it's an amazing meal. Never done it on the egg, but you surely could.

Stay warm and post some good pics.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI