Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Pizza Question

3Mdawg413Mdawg41 Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum

Tried cooking pizza for the first time about a month ago.  The pizza looked awesom, but  tasted like smoke.  When I get the Dome to 700 how long do I need to let it burn at this temp to burn off the smoke flavor?  Also, legs up or down on the plate-setter.  Any other tips are welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    You need to give your stone at least 30 minutes to heat up, the bad smoke should be long gone by then.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    I did pizza earlier this week with about a 50/50 lump/oak mix.  Definitely more smoky than usual, but good.

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 786
    There really should be no smoke flavour from the charcoal at those temperatures.  I wonder if your dome is cold and and you have condensation dripping on your pizza off the dome.  If that is the case you need to heat the dome longer.

Gerhard
  • I will let it warm longer thanks Guys!!!
  • reh111reh111 Posts: 150
    I do legs up with grid on top of legs and stone on top of grid  - you can do it legs down with a spacer between the base of the PS and the stone but the heat will be concentrated at PS base level which is also at gasket level and at the temperatures you need you are likely to destroy your gasket rather quickly - as others have said, once you get your egg up to the temp you want let it heat the stone for at least 30 minutes before putting the pizza on so that the stone will be hot enough - I've never had a problem with smoke flavor - might you have had some old wood chips or chunks in the fire left over from a prior cook?
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,963
    Sometimes the lump leaves a smokey flavor even after burn off. I asked about that some said use wicked good. I ordered a bag yet to try it.
    Seattle, WA