Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Halibut en Papillote

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,411
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to prove to the wife that not everything on the Egg had to come from a pig, a cow, be wrapped in bacon, or have a smoke ring, and that I could cook something healthy.  Halibut filets cooked in parchment (en Papillote as Julia would say).  Turned out very moist, tender and flaky.  Did them indirect at 400 for 20 minutes.  In order to not be too healthy and ruin my reputation, threw on a batch of oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies after the fish.    

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,951
    edited January 2013
    Nice job with the packages. I get out the stapler or paper clips :\">

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Looks like a very tasty and healthy meal.  I hope you had some really good ice cream to go with those cookies!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,507
    Awesome - looks great!  You notice any smokey flavor?  I've only done en papillote in the oven, and it seems to be a question du jour that needs answering....

·
    You do. Not very much but it's there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Steven, I think you have a permanent smoke patina in your sinuses.  :D  Seriously though, that's good info - thanks.  I'll fire up the egg if I can get some smoke over the oven any day.

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,411
    Awesome - looks great!  You notice any smokey flavor?  I've only done en papillote in the oven, and it seems to be a question du jour that needs answering....
    I used WGWW so not a lot of smoke flavor. Will use some wood chips next time to get a bit of smoke.
  • Nice. Another cook on my do to list!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Looks great. I'm with @Little_Steven, I'd probably have to use a stapler to keep them closed.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,542
    Griffin said:
    Looks great. I'm with @Little_Steven, I'd probably have to use a stapler to keep them closed.
    theres a better way to fold them, instead of folding over the top and crimping the side, put the fish dead center of the paper and fold both sides up and roll/crimp down toward the center, the two ends get twisted up and its easy to tie those off with a short piece of baking twine. theres no place for liquid to leak down and out
    ·
  • I still have quite a bit of halibut in the freezer and always looking for new recipes.  I've done pappillote a few times and like it.  How did you season  the fillets?
    ·
    Griffin said:
    theres a better way to fold them, instead of folding over the top and crimping the side, put the fish dead center of the paper and fold both sides up and roll/crimp down toward the center, the two ends get twisted up and its easy to tie those off with a short piece of baking twine. theres no place for liquid to leak down and out
    Whaddya got against my stapler?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Steven, I think you have a permanent smoke patina in your sinuses.  :D  Seriously though, that's good info - thanks.  I'll fire up the egg if I can get some smoke over the oven any day.
    Nah, in fact, I seldom use smoking wood. I use Maple Leaf lump which is very clean burning. You still get some through the parchment. I sorta remember the whole parchment thing being developed for wood cooking. I'll check that out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,250
    I guess staples and something with a haute french name don't quite go together. Unless you use a French accent. Then everything sounds good.
    ·
    Don't even think about taking Steve's stapler!

·

poisson en papillote avec des agrafes.....sounds good to me

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

poisson en papillote avec des agrafes.....sounds good to me

ooohh la la

·
    edited January 2013

We don't need no stapler

Browned some butter and put in a few anchovy fillets
    Smashed up the anchovies and put in some clam juice and chardonnay and reduced to a coat a spoon consistency.
    Sauteed some carrot slices in butter
    Added red bell pepper slices
    Some lemon and the vegetables with some onion and slivered garlic
    Put the sea bass in and topped with some of the butter sauce
    Then some fresh tarragon, parsley, thyme and chives
    Folded the parchment and oiled and on to the egg on a raised grid at 350*
    Served with some sauteed kale, onion, garlic and mushrooms in chicken broth and steamed rice with clam juice, chardonnay, red bell peppers and butter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    goddamn, that looks delicious

·
    I used to have a camera, out of focus one but still a camera

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I have done the same thing with halibut, but used capers in the butter instead of anchovies, I imagine that was on delicious sea bass, I dont have pictures of the halibut so it probably never happened...
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,096
    We did this last night with two big chunks of Halibut.  Soooooo good!  We sat ours on a ragout we found here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6FWQ_o0tgk.

Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • Quidquid français dictum sit altum videtur

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
    Quidquid français dictum sit altum videtur
    That sounds profound.  Must be Latin.

·