Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

pulled pork?

Do any of you cut up your butts into smaller chunks before smoking. I have done a few cooks like this. Adds surface area for the rub and more bark. Seems to make for a faster cook as well. Usually smoke for around 3 hours then into a pan with a little liquid and foil. Speeds things up and I haven't really noticed any drawbacks in the finished product other than the bark does soften a bit. Thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,540
    I would only think that it may make the pork slightly less forgiving. If it's working, sounds awesome.
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    Seems like a cool method if your in a hurry. Do the pieces cook at a consistant rate?
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,619
    When I've tried smaller pieces of butt, between .3 and 3 pounds, the finished product is somewhat drier than I like. However, I've not tried foiling w. liquid.

You method gives me an idea. Take a bunch of sliced shoulder (aka country ribs,) and start cooking them in foil to boost the speed. Then unwrap, rub, and finish in warm smoke to build the bark.
  • SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 229
    I haven't really noticed the pieces cooking any differently.  Pretty consistent across the board.  I try to get them as close as possible to all being the same size.  I do my chuck roast for pulled beef like this as well.