Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anniversary gift vote

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should I buy this w/o his input? I've spent a good deal of the day reading posts, while "he" is out of town. These sound too neat NOT to have one. Even living here in bear/mountain lion country. Should I order it and surprise him, or let him choose? (I fear he might say no.) I think the big one. What is it, 18" diameter? [p]I see the majority of posts are from men. How about the women in your lives? Are they as enthusiastic/enchanted? Is it really the food that tastes so great, or the fact that you all feel like hunters and gatherers when you're cooking? [p]I can taste that Christmas goose now.

Comments

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Bear Country Woman,[p]My wife loves the egg. She has learned to cook on it and even my 11 year old daughter cooks on it (with limited supervision). My wife liked it so much she told me to buy the small to go with our large[p]John
  • JM3,[p]Would you have disappointed if your wife had brought it home without your input?
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Bear Country Woman,
    My wife discouraged me for several years (thinking it too expensive) and I was already doing some good steaks on other type grills( never to compare with the ones we do T-Rex style on the BGE). But she has been and continues to be amazed at the many good dishes coming of the egg. Wants me to do several dishes for appetizers for a group of her friends. The things you can do with the egg are very exciting. Keep up with this forum, they are great to answer any question (quickly). Do not hesitate to ask if you are not sure or don't know .[p]Ray Price

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Bear Country Woman,[p]I am one who doesn't like surprises at all. I like to be able to shop with my wife for a gift she might buy me. BUT... A Big Green Egg is a can't miss gift. [p]Is he aware of what a BGE can do? If it is something that he isn't familiar with prep him first. Heck...buy one and hide it in the house. Show him this website and all the posts (avoid this thread) and when he is ready to run out get one himself...show him what you already have. He will love it! and you will also. [p]I would buy the large, it is the most flexiable. You can always add other sizes in the future. I have a large, small, and mini. Let us know what you decide. [p]Steve-B
  • Steve-B,[p]I'm trying to get up the courage to place the order today, before he gets home after being gone for 5 days. [p]I don't know, however, what accessories to order with it. Think I found the best price at Hearthside on the internet - which includes free shipping. Can't beat that! Suggestions for accessories will be greatly appreciated. [p]I doubt he's ever heard of the BGE, and would probably faint dead away at the cost. [p]Thanks! I'll tell him you made me do it. Ha. It IS my anniversary, too, isn't it...and a very big one!

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Bear Country Woman,[p]Not at all. The BGE has been wonderful. I ,and my family, have been hooked from my first cook, a spatchcocked chicken.[p]Your husband will thank you for a long time if you get him this.[p]John
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Bear Country Woman,[p]I got the platesetter and the ash tool with mine. The daisy wheel thing on top came with it so I'm assuming this is standard.
    Also, Dr. BBQ's book is quite handy if you can find that. Follow the directions for championship ribs for your first cook and hubby will not be complaining![p]Gwen

• Dimple's Mom,[p]Being the novice I am - what is the platesetter? I keep reading about it, but haven't a clue what it is.
    Did yours come with the stand and the side table? Guess I do need those. Or at least the stand. [p]Thanks!

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Bear Country Woman,[p]A platesetter is a must accesory. I also have an ashtool, gridlifter and grid extender. I bought the grid extender from BGE. but could of build a better one myself. The Naked Whiz has a great website and will help you get going. He has instructions on building a gridlifter and has pictures of what a plate setter is (question #47). His link section also has other great sites. [p]
    Steve-B

[ul][li]Ceramic Cooker FAQ w/platesetter info[/ul]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Bear Country Woman,[p]No, I had to buy the stand (nest) and didn't get the side table as I want to build (have built) my own table. [p]The platesetter is a ceramic round thing that has little 'feet' on the sides. You can use it with feet down or feet up. It's for indirect cooks.[p]Where I live, there were no deals to be had. My egg, nest, platesetter, ash tool, and a bag of lump came in just under 1K. But I try not to think about that. ;)[p]Gwen