Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Eggy Fart / Rumbling Lid

Hi Guys,

I had a really weird thing happen last night, I was wokking, it was pretty cold and my bge xl was running out of lump so I added fresh lump, of course there was a lot of crackling from the fresh lump and the temp shot up to about 650 degrees while I went in side.  So I came out opened my egg had my first flashback, burn't the arm on my eskimo suit , raked my coals over and then shut the lid, the lid immediatley started rasping at me, it started, well all I can say was farting at me. Gave me quite a shock.

Anyone had this experience?

By the way there was a pink elephant standing in the corner too!

Not Really, the pink elephant that is, the rest was real.

Comments

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,462

Mine will fart too if I have too hot of a fire & close the top vent too much.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I've had this happen if I put the rain cap on and close the bottom vent before closing the dome. The gas builds up in the dome and can't escape, so it lifts the dome to escape. Usually only happens on hot fires.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I'm sorry I can't help saying this.......

I know a few things about egg farts, but I think that's a completely different issue......LOL

BWAHAAAA! =))
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 2,093
    Careful, this is how most people burn their gasket through. Very hot cooks shut down too much or too quickly. The hot expansive air must go somewhere.
  • I believe if you throw a couple BEANOS in the Egg b4 lighting you will have no gas.. http://www.beanogas.com/
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,546
    Eggy farts?
    2Q==.jpeg 10K
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,360

• Beer will help smooth it out.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,193
    I've never shared this experience with my egg, I feel like such a rookie....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    hehe, that was probably it, the vent cap on the top was shut, because I wok with the top open obviously, just closed it to stop the embers from the fresh lump flying everywhere, phew thought it was just me.

Best smelling eggy fart I have ever smelt.
  • Be careful putting vent cap on and closing lid on a hot fire. If the draft door is open, flames could come out of the bottom draft opening unexpectedly and burn you or any little ones that are close by. The first time my Egg started rasping at me, I almost **** my pants.
  • KempyKempy Posts: 188
    Be careful putting vent cap on and closing lid on a hot fire. If the draft door is open, flames could come out of the bottom draft opening unexpectedly and burn you or any little ones that are close by. The first time my Egg started rasping at me, I almost **** my pants.

Yes this happened to me.  I was fortunate enough to be standing off to the side of the egg and avoid the flame.  I definately needed another beer after that.