Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Dome Thermo

Anyone know where I can get a new dome thermometer with a new bracket?

Anywhere but direct from BGE.

They are hopeless.
·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Google tel tru should be able to get you what you need
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,788

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,466
    As he said you don't  need the bracket. In fact you should toss the bracket away.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,135
    Mickey said:
    As he said you don't  need the bracket. In fact you should toss the bracket away.
    Understand that the dome thermo will stay in without the bracket, what do you see as the reason to toss it? Other than holding the thermo in a set position, I've never seen a reason for the bracket, but I've also not seen a reason to not use it. (Maybe headroom in the dome?)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    OziEgg said:
    Anyone know where I can get a new dome thermometer with a new bracket? Anywhere but direct from BGE. They are hopeless.
    Here you go.  I have bought all of my replacements direct from Tel-Tru.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • My LBGE thermometer says tel tru on it...is there a better one to have?
    ·
    I was just too lazy to put it back on after the last time I calibrated it.  One advantage of not having the bracket is, if you have a turkey or some high-in-the-dome piece of meat, the probe side of the thermometer will be pushed out when you close the lid versus stabbing the meat (and if you didn't realize that were the case, you're temp readings wouldn't be as accurate.  Also, it's easier to rotate so your set-point is at 12 O'Clock.

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,135
    Eggbeater said:
    My LBGE thermometer says tel tru on it...is there a better one to have?
    That's the newer BGE one, it used to be the preferred choice over the original BGE thermo, now they are one in the same. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • EggbeaterEggbeater Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    Eggbeater said:
    My LBGE thermometer says tel tru on it...is there a better one to have?
    That's the newer BGE one, it used to be the preferred choice over the original BGE thermo, now they are one in the same. 

Gotcha. Thanks!
    ·
  • OziEggOziEgg Posts: 48
    I was just too lazy to put it back on after the last time I calibrated it.  One advantage of not having the bracket is, if you have a turkey or some high-in-the-dome piece of meat, the probe side of the thermometer will be pushed out when you close the lid versus stabbing the meat (and if you didn't realize that were the case, you're temp readings wouldn't be as accurate.  Also, it's easier to rotate so your set-point is at 12 O'Clock.

That's interesting for me because I thought I needed a bracket for that exact reason - so the thermometer can be held well off the dome to avoid sticking when I use the top level of the Extender. That's what Tom recommends:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/thermometers-etc.html 

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    For that, you can drill a hole in wine cork and use for a spacer. A potato would work too...
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Another advantage to leaving the bracket (clip) off... You can simply pull out the thermometer when doing a cleaning burn.  They don't like going over 1000°  (Ask me how I know.)
    ·

Deckhand said:
    Another advantage to leaving the bracket (clip) off... You can simply pull out the thermometer when doing a cleaning burn.  They don't like going over 1000°  (Ask me how I know.)

I have asked elsewhere how you do that cleaning burn and don't think I got a response.

How do you do it and how often should you do it?

·

OziEgg said:

Deckhand said:

I have asked elsewhere how you do that cleaning burn and don't think I got a response.

How do you do it and how often should you do it?

Like a farmer rotating his crops, I mix in hot cooks like pizza to burn off any fat that collects.  I never do a super high temp cleanout burn.  Most fat burns or evaporates below 500F, so if you do have a problem with build up, you can burn out your lump after a cook around 550-600.  Some people pull the thermometer and blast it wide open - 700-1100F.  This makes the inside of the egg turn white and clean.  It's not good for your gasket, and if you have a table, it's not good for any finish near the egg, and in my opinion, doesn't make any subsequent cooks any better than burning it clean at 550-600.

·
    Thanks for that.

I think I have to use more lump

There is no way I can get up to those temps when I have finished a cook with what is left.
    ·